Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:38 AM

I'd suggest buying as big as your budget can afford. You're not likely to ever say "I wish this jumper battery had less capacity." You are likely to be thankful that it started your truck when it only had a 1/4 charge.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:10 PM

Mine’s the XP-1, kept in my 6.0 gasser. I’ve had it for more than a couple of years and works great. But ntsqd makes a good point. Looks like the price difference is about $70 between the “1” and “10”, you’ll have to determine your threshold of pain. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#14 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:44 PM

What is the reputation of the NOCO brand?/ That is what my local battery shop offers and they said they stock it and have been using it regularly when they get calls to go jump a vehicle. They use the GB40 model rated at 1000 amps.

#15 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:16 PM

Don't own a Noco jump starter but my 8 yr old Noco 7200 charger has been excellent. 

#16 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

Another issue on jump starters is how to recharge it while I am in nomad mode camping throughout the desert SW for several months boodocking on BLM land. I have read most of these lithium ion jumpers hold a charge for 3-4 months, but I wonder it they have enough left to start a truck after even two months. Any thoughts on this?

Think I just found the answer: seems that these devices can be charged with a USB cable and I do have a device for doing that using the alternator while driving.

Edited by BillTheHiker, 11 October 2019 - 04:57 PM.

#17 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:19 AM

When I used mine to start the CTD it had been sitting for a couple of months after having been fully charged just the once.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#18 Cosmo_Kraner

Cosmo_Kraner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:38 AM

Whateve one they sell at Costco works great. Holds charge a long and jumps a full size truck no problem.

#19 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:28 PM

In recent years I've been sorely tempted to pick up a Noco or MicroStart jumper.  And when I review them online, there'll be a high percentage of satisfied users, but . . . invariably there'll be some 10-20% or so of the reviewers that swear the product will eventually swell up to the point of being a significant hazard, so I back off on ordering one.  So, is this really a thing?  What are my 'real' chances of having buyer's remorse if I were to purchase a Noco or MicroStart or equivalent for long term use?  Thanks,

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#20 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:39 AM

I have read to not store fully charged, so not sure how well that fits in with having one for emergency. Seems like it needs to be fully charged to last until the emergency happens. Or maybe just keep it around 70 -80 percent of charge, and use an inverter to keep it at that level while camping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users