32 replies to this topic

#21 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:31 AM

We loose power here in Appalachia on a somewhat regular basis.

Many people here have installed whole house generators (primarily Generac brand) that are plumbed to run off propane. They come on within seconds of loosing power and are totally automatic.

Is that an option in the West?

My mother & step-father just had a Nat. Gas fueled Generac installed with the change-over switch here on the Left Coastal Desert. Every Tues. at noon it starts up and runs for 15 mins or some-such.

We have talked about it, but no consensus, yet.

The good generators you don't hear much from, and the really good (& small) ones you don't hear at all. It's the cheep ones that are obnoxious.

My take on this whole problem is that it stems all the way back to de-regulation. Yeah, power cost more then, but the utilities had the cash to maintain their equipment. Now that they're in a competitive market they're cutting costs where ever they can. We basically shot ourselves in the foot. Monopoly utilities were set-up that way for good reasons. I say that as normally being no fan of monopolies.

Edited by ntsqd, 26 October 2019 - 03:36 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#22 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:26 PM

Our plan, when in Pollock Pines, is to go to Sebastopol. With a heat pump in Pollock Pines, I'd need a ~15-20kW generator (8 kW heat strips + 3 kW compressor + startup surge). We can do without heat strips if the outside temp is >40, then we're down to a reasonable size genset. There is a fireplace, but it really only works if you're sitting in front of it and the rest of the house gets cold as the heat escapes up the chimney. But, we're very fortunate to have another spot to evac to. Since it is a vacation home, in 13 years we've only left once - last winter during an extended outage (>12 hours!!) Old vacation houses in Pollock Pines don't have much insulation, the inside temp plummets!!

PG&E just changed the Sebastopol area from "Probably not affected" to "Shutdown probable" or something like that. I've got a 4kW generac that we purchased 20 years ago, after a 200 year flood event along the river left us without power for 10 days or so. That will provide us with (well)  water and keep our fridge cold. I don't have a transfer switch, so extension cords will keep the fridge cold. I'll probably just run it enough to keep the fridge cold and the well tanks topped off. I had to run out for gas, quite a bit of people had the same thought this morning. I lent it to a friend 2 years ago in the aftermath of the Tubbs fire - we both had several evacuees in our houses, he had no power or natural gas. Hmm, something to think about for those that have NG fueled gensets.

I'm going to tap into my camper battery to run our cable modem/router etc. I'll use a small inverter and another extension cord. I haven't done the math yet but we should be good for a few hours tonight and tomorrow morning when the sun comes up. I've used the generator for this before, but it's too freaking loud to run all the time. Not sure how long Comcast will stay up on whatever backup they utilize, but i suspect it wont be much more than 8 hrs or so. Our "Landline" phone is actually VOIP (Internet phone), so it'll be down. We utilize different carriers (T-mobile and Verizon) on our cell phones to have a bit more safety margin

During last week's shutdown several cell towers went offline in Santa Rosa after the backup gens failed, ran out of fuel, etc. That caused a lot of people to have intermittent data / text connections. It seems a friend of mine in East Santa Rosa could call me but nothing else - the old 2G networks still working. Verizon plans to shut whatever is left of 2G voice in the next couple of months, if you're a Verizon customer (including MVNO's - Tracfone etc) and have an old phone you may need to update it soon!

Capable phones have "VoLTE", voice over LTE.

With current evacuation orders in Healdsburg and Windsor (~50k people), Hiway 101 is nearly gridlocked south of Windsor, very slow down to Santa Rosa.

More preps to take care of, back to work now . . .

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#23 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:54 PM

How should we deal with this one?

Second Alert: October 25, 2019 6:26 PM
Within the next 24 hours, power may be turned off at the following address(es):

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Meter # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Service Agreement: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That is rough. I keep forgetting about the black outs. Fill the freezers full of dry ice and skidaddle?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#24 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:12 PM

Fill the freezers full of dry ice and skidaddle?

Whatever is in the fridge/freezer we give to friends to use up or take with us. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#25 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:19 PM

10, 9, 8 , 7..........................

Third Alert: October 26, 2019 12:21 PM
Within the next 12 hours, power may be turned off at the following address(es):

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Meter # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Service Agreement: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The coming wind event is predicted to be so severe we are staying in place to help ourselves and friends/family as necessary.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#26 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:28 PM

Those folks with natural gas fueled generators, should check if their gas company uses mains power to run the natural gas pumps. That seems to be the case in some places. With grid down, natural gas may also be down. Worth checking out if backup generator is needed for maintaining life support systems. 

PAul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

STATUS

November 18, 2019: Due to gusty winds and dry conditions, combined with a heightened fire risk, PG&E may need to turn off power for public safety at this address in the next 36 to 48 hours. As we continue to monitor conditions, please prepare for outages that could last longer than 48 hours. By providing your specific address information in this tool, you are getting a more accurate view than PSPS area map. Get the latest information on this event at pge.com/pspsupdates

Cancellation Alert: November 20, 2019 12:37 PM

Weather conditions have improved, power will not need to be turned off

Edited by ski3pin, 20 November 2019 - 09:37 PM.
update

#28 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:20 AM

Looks like the fire season may be over now and the Public Safety Power Shutoffs gone too.

Snowed over a foot here last night with Winter's arrival. And, we lost power, as expected. It's either snow loaded tree branches coming down or vehicle taking out a power pole.

Confession time. I wired in a manual transfer switch and we bought a Honda generator. Used it today. It does make the outages much more comfortable, but will we miss the adventure of it all? Probably not. There are so many other fun ways to have an adventure. :)

#29 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:04 AM

It's an adventure the first time it happens.  After that it is just a hassle.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#30 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

It's an adventure the first time it happens.  After that it is just a hassle.

Very well said

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users