#1 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:18 PM

Hi

My wife and I are ordering a new FWC in April.  We plan to buy a new truck in March.  We figured once we pick the truck we want, then we can order the camper to match.  

Currently it is me, my wife and few dogs.  We plan to have kids in the future.  We plan on using the truck/ camper combo for long road trips and remote camping.  Most trips will be 2-6 nights.  The longer road trips will be up to 1 month long.  We don't plan to do any extremely difficult off roading or rock crawling, but want the truck capable to get to remote camp spots and get down some moderately difficult roads (mostly in the Sierra Nevada).    The truck will also be my daily driver.

We initially looked into a Tacoma, but we came to the conclusion that it wasn't large enough for a family, and would take a substantial amount of modifications to the suspension to accommodate the camper.

Next we looked at the Tundra, F150 and Ram Rebel.  Out of all those the Ram Rebel seems to be the obvious first choice.  It comes stock as the most cable off-road of the group and has the highest payload.

I recently started looking at the Ram Power Wagon.  it seems like a pretty awesome truck.  However, the pay load is the same as the Rebel.  it does have a larger bed to accommodate a larger model FWC. But it also comes in at $10-15K more.

Currently, we are leaning towards the Ram Rebel.  I was wondering if anyone else has input?  Any suggestions or things to consider?

THANKs!!

#2 jmnielsen

jmnielsen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:42 PM

I'm not sure where you got that the Rebel has a higher payload, everything I see points to the F150 as having the highest payload for a 1/2 ton.   You can get them with factory rear lockers as well to be plenty capable offroad.

I, personally, would get an F250 if I had the option.  The new tremor package can be had with an XL trim truck and will be very capable offroad with a great payload.

#3 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:47 PM

A family and a few dogs sounds like a Grandby to me.  It also sounds like a 3/4 or one-ton truck to accomodate it.  It also sounds like a crew cab for dogs and kids.  I think you should get a Ford F350, crew cab, long-bed, 4x4, rear electronic locker.  I know you don't want to spend the money, no one does, but if you are a "family" with a family of dogs, you are going to be crowded in the truck and in the camper.  Might as well do it once, right.

#4 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:51 PM

A family and a few dogs sounds like a Grandby to me.  It also sounds like a 3/4 or one-ton truck to accomodate it.  It also sounds like a crew cab for dogs and kids.  I think you should get a Ford F350, crew cab, long-bed, 4x4, rear electronic locker.  I know you don't want to spend the money, no one does, but if you are a "family" with a family of dogs, you are going to be crowded in the truck and in the camper.  Might as well do it once, right.

Yup. Excellent advice. Our Hawk is just big enough for 2 adults. Our Tundra double cab is just big enough for the Hawk.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

I’m in agreement with the others.  A full size truck and camper.  In addition to the FWC, take a peek at the ATC campers, they offer two full size products that differ in width.  ATC also does custom builds, and is usually less expensive than other manufacturers.  ATC is known for strong builds and great customer focus.  All Terrain Campers

I am haunted by waters

#6 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:26 AM

What sage said, x2. 

You will never regret the granby/or similar sized ATC. And you will not regret going with a full sized truck. There have been less than 5 times that I have had to turn around in my superduty(s) with a camper that a small truck would have fit. A lot depends on your choice of trails, but reading your post I would go crew cab long bed 1 ton. The difference in price between 3/4 and 1 tons is marginal, and the payload will come in very useful. 

Parking can be a pain, but I always park as far away as I can, mileage will be what It will be. And depending on what you do for a living, a truck may be the only real option. As far as brand, won't touch that with a ten foot pole. My best buddies all drive domestic(work dictates a full size) one ram guy, a chevy guy, another is gmc and I like fords. All have merits/strong points.

Good luck!

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#7 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:09 AM

Nothing wrong with the Ram Rebel, and I agree it's a better choice than the Power Wagon for what you want. 

However, there is much to be recommended in a 3/4-ton or 1-ton truck, in terms of excess payload capacity that can get eaten up very quickly in even a half-ton full-size pickup.

I just attended the product launch of the new Ford Super Duty pickups, and was extremely impressed with the Tremor option, which contrary to what someone else wrote I believe is available on XLT and above trim levels. The Tremor incorporates useful backcountry options, such as the rear locker and front traction control, with the same payload as the standard F250 or F350. It would take you, your family, and a Four Wheel Camper anywhere you wanted to go. See image from the driving course below. The 6.7-liter turbodiesel with the new ten-speed transmission is a brilliant and surprisingly economical combination—I got nearly 20mpg on a test circuit of 90 miles in a SuperCrew 4x4 F350. 

49432155868_e0a7544258_c.jpg

#8 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:46 AM

I, personally, would get an F250 if I had the option.  The new tremor package can be had with an XL trim truck and will be very capable offroad with a great payload.

X2.

I have a Tacoma. Just spent the time and money to upgrade said suspension. If I could get a new camper and truck together I would go F-150 or preferably F-250.

I have a F-150 for work and a coworker just got a F-250. It is a completely different truck - bigger & built beefier - and has really impressed me. The new engines with turbo chargers are proving themselves to be very reliable and surprisingly powerful.

Edited by Kolockum, 24 January 2020 - 04:46 AM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#9 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

Our stuff is all older but I honestly couldn't imagine having a smaller setup than our crewcab long box f350 and grandby for two adults two kids and two dogs.  We still fly pretty light compared to a lot of family camping set ups you see on the road. Everyone has different needs and priorities but I definitely would get enough truck and camper from the start like everyone else is saying.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#10 dscobell

dscobell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

Doff,

I faced a similar decision to yours a few years ago. I bought a custom ordered F350 4x4 CC gasser with an 8' bed. Here are my reasons: Grandby with front dinette loaded for camping weighs just short of 2000lbs. While the F250 would have handled the weight, for $1000 difference in price you get more truck with the 350.

I never considered a short bed truck because I do not like the look of a camper hanging out the back of the truck... would not fair well if rear ended. Also, imo, you need to consider center of gravity for the load. At the time I purchased my truck, the RAM trucks were not recommended for slide in campers because of some changes they made to their suspension that altered their COG. This may have changed.

You might want to visit any of the online truck camper websites to get more info.Here is just one. https://www.truckcampermagazine.com

Also, search online for the RV and towing documentation for whatever trucks you are considering. In those documents you will find information which will explain the capacities of each truck to carry a "slide in camper". Remember "slide truck camper cargo capacity" and "cargo capacity" are not the same thing.

If you have any questions about my truck or the Grandby, I would be happy to answer.

camper: 2016 Grandby

truck: 2017 Ford F350 CCLB gasser

Callsign: KM6GWU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users