• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

Fastenal will only sell in 100 qty per package now. Found them here:

http://www.theorings...roducts_id=1125

$6.19 shipped for 13pk (minumum order)

A few random questions for the hive mind:

Toyopet, what year is your Alaskan? Trying to figure out what size I will need without tearing apart my rams, as they are semi-working right now. Mine is a 1969-70.

Also, dopey question related to not having torn mine apart yet: How many o-rings will I need? One per ram, or more?

Do I need to plan to replace o-rings in the pump itself, also, or only if it doesn't work well after replacing the ones in the rams?

Third possibly dopey question: I see people talking about checking the fluid level in their system, but WHERE do I check that? And if the fluid is low, can I add to it without knowing what was used, or should I drain the whole system?

Thanks!

#12 hangster

hangster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:33 PM

well, after studying this thread like the zapruder film I'm going in..

off to buy my o-rings

#13 hangster

hangster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:04 PM

naturally I'm neck deep and they gave me the wrong size o-rings..

I'll update shortly

#14 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:58 AM

What size are the orings for the newer larger brass cylinders? Has anyone replaced theirs. Mine are just starting to leak. I am presuming the seals are orings like the earlier rams but larger. It would be great to have them before I pull this apart. My Alaskan is a 2014.

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

Is Alaskan not forthcoming with this info, or do they want you to buy their re-seal kit?

Thom

Where does that road go?

#16 Willys Addict

Willys Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:12 AM

IMG_2460 (1).JPG IMG_2461 (1).JPG IMG_2462 (1).JPG

So I had an O ring start leaking in about a year after changing and cleaning. So I took the opportunity to install Quad rings, i am leaving for Alaska at the end of the Month and we shall see how they work. attached is the O Ring and Quad Ring installed, as well the information on both.

#17 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:57 PM

Willys Addict

question about the quad ring you are showing pictures on.

referring to the pictures: the packaging dimensions on the 2-115 look to be the same as the 4-115 but the O-ring looks thicker?

Is the quad ring a thicker O-ring and did it resolve the issue you had?

On my 95' 10' CO, I installed all new stock 1" brass cylinders 3 years ago, but have lost two seals within a 20 or so raises and now another lost seal this labor day weekend.

the camper is mostly for hunting so it sits lowered for months at a time.

I also did a good job to re-align the stroke to my top mounts so the piston rod goes straight up and is centered within the cylinder.

I used #115 Nitrile O-rings from Tacoma Screw.

just seems that I shouldn't be having O-ring issues so often and sucks I don't trust my cylinders to perform when camping??

thanks

flyboykev

#18 Willys Addict

Willys Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:00 PM

The quad rings are a little thicker and they are square, when I rebuilt mine I cleaned and measured my cylinders finished them as good as i was able and then resealed with good O Rings, they all by this year started to leak, I just took the camper off (Till Hunting) from the summer. I covered most of BC, Yukon and Alaska, no leaks as of today. Now I did build a corner bracket to do field repairs and took both styles of O rings with me. The other thing I will do this year due to some dampness attacking the lowered portion of the sides is store it raised when I stop for the winter, not sure if it will matter for the seals but everything will be sitting with better circulation.

But the short answer is the quad rings have worked so far and this is what they are designed for, I my issue keeps up we may just see 4 new Jacks..... Hope it helps.

#19 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:55 PM

thanks for the quick response.

should I just buy then (Parker 4-115 instead of the 2-115) to get the thicker O-ring?

flyboykev

#20 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

update 9/5

called Seal Technologies in Kirkland and the next O-ring size up from 2-115 is 1/8" thickness vs stock 3/32".

its Parker # 2-209 with dimensions .671 (11/16") ID x .949 OD.

concerned about being too thick and working against the hydraulic action, I stopped by Omni packing and seal in south park Seattle.

they recommended using a metric O-ring with dimensions 3mm thickness x 17mm (.669) ID x 23mm (.905) OD. which is in between the 115 & 209.

I bought 4 of them and this weekend when I pull the rod from the cylinder, I will MIC them both to compare and decide best course of action.

all are Nitrile material.

flyboykev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users