232 replies to this topic

#171 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 23 November 2018 - 11:10 PM

Interesting thought there trikebubble :blink: !! Just picked up Nathaniel Philbrick' s (In the heart of the sea) latest book"In the Hurricanes Eye-The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown"!   Now if only we get allot of snow so I can curl up in front of the fire place and really enjoy it!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#172 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:00 AM

Bunches of great reads in this thread. Some I have read, most I have not. There were several books mentioned about the Colorado River and those who have run the Grand Canyon.  The Doing of the Thing  is about a man named Buzz Holstrom. Buzz was the first to run the Green and Colorado rivers solo. 

https://www.goodread...ng_of_the_Thing

trout

Edited by 2trout, 24 November 2018 - 04:01 AM.

#173 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:06 AM

Bunches of great reads in this thread. Some I have read, most I have not. There were several books mentioned about the Colorado River and those who have run the Grand Canyon. The Doing of the Thing is about a man named Buzz Holstrom. Buzz was the first to run the Green and Colorado rivers solo.
https://www.goodread...ng_of_the_Thing

trout

If you like reading about the early river runners, here is an excellent book on that topic.

The Very Hard Way - Bert Loper and The Colorado River, Brad Dimock
Fascinating read about the early times on the Colorado. It's nice to read about the area, and those folks who made a go of it. Wonderful sunset over Glen Canyon tonight.

I am haunted by waters

#174 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

A book I recently ran across is Gila: Life and Death of an American River by Gregory McNamee.  It was written in 1994, but he revised and expanded it in 2012 so it is far from dated.  It covers the entire drainage from New Mexico to its confluence with the Colorado.  It covers prehistory, archeology, Native use of the river, and contemporary use.  It inspired me explore parts of it near me (I live in Tucson) I hadn't visited before.

#175 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

A book I recently ran across is Gila: Life and Death of an American River by Gregory McNamee.  It was written in 1994, but he revised and expanded it in 2012 so it is far from dated.  It covers the entire drainage from New Mexico to its confluence with the Colorado.  It covers prehistory, archeology, Native use of the river, and contemporary use.  It inspired me explore parts of it near me (I live in Tucson) I hadn't visited before.

Thanks for the suggestion!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#176 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

Just read a review of Barry Lopez's latest- Horizon. Sound like a good read, I think I will pick it up.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#177 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

Just read a review of Barry Lopez's latest- Horizon. Sound like a good read, I think I will pick it up.

Terry Tempest-Williams had good things to say about it, via social media.

I am haunted by waters

#178 Amyinaz

Amyinaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff AZ

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:26 PM

Oh my gosh! So many old favorites to revisit and new titles to explore here. I think we need a book club for Overland Expo, or maybe I'll open a bookstore tent. ;)

Here are a few favorites I didn't see listed (but might have missed)...

Next time you're exploring SE Utah, check out The Disappearances by Scott Thybony (and anything else by Thybony)

And for some light reading
The Colorado Mountain Companion: A Potpourri of Useful Miscellany from the Highest Parts of the Highest State by M. John Fahey

Sand in my Bra, edited by Jennifer Leo

#179 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:59 PM

I do not read many travel books cover-to-cover and instead just research the area I am traveling too.  I just finished reading all of "Blue Highways - A Journey into America" by William Least Heat Moon and recommend it if you "came-of-age" in the late 70's or early 80's and traveled at that time.  Obviously, Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" was also a book I read cover-to-cover previously.  "Blue Highways" is more first hand writing and "Travels with Charley" is more a creation of Steinbeck.  

#180 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:34 PM

I do not read many travel books cover-to-cover and instead just research the area I am traveling too.  I just finished reading all of "Blue Highways - A Journey into America" by William Least Heat Moon and recommend it if you "came-of-age" in the late 70's or early 80's and traveled at that time.  Obviously, Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" was also a book I read cover-to-cover previously.  "Blue Highways" is more first hand writing and "Travels with Charley" is more a creation of Steinbeck.

John, if you like his writing, you might also enjoy River Horse. It’s about his journey by CDory boat across the US. They only trailerwher they couldn’t navigate. Great story, worlds best boat :)

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users