• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

just got back from realto beach. it was our first crack at winter camping.we got there at 2pm on 21st.in an all out rain storm.it poured till next morning. we have fallen in love with our 20yr. old olympian 3100 catalitic heater. it kept us at 65-68 degrees constantly all three days.heck ,we even got 10-12 hours on each gas bottle.the camper worked great.our only bad time was trying to dry our soaked clothes from just the few minutes of set up and being trapped inside for 24 hours during rain storm.for the clothes ,i'm gonna put hooks for an inside clotes line lengthwise on ceiling.i left the front vent cracked during travel and it soaked some stuff stowed up front.all in all ,not much trouble considering.we had the whole camp ground to ourselves the first night,and a whopping 2 other spots filled the next. during the day, we stayed at the beach parking lot(2miles away). thank goodness we had a warm,dry spot in between beachcombing hikes.
some changes i think i need after this trip(our 3rd in the camper)are clothes line indoors,retractable storage shelf forward above seat backs,some sort of stop for the windows(the high winds knock them out of their settings and slam shut occasionaly,and a small battery powered fan to move air. we had a little condensation on windows,but not bad.

wes--i put some pics on gallery of trip

#2 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

My wife and I also like to camp in our Alaskan during storms. A rubber band on the end of the window adjustment rods will lock them in place.

Boy, that is a lot of gas for such a short period of time. I have the heater in my camper running 24/7 during Elk season and I get 6 days from a 20# bottle.

One suggestion about the front window. DO NOT have it open when you are driving at freeway speeds. You will find the top half of your camper becoming airborne. Been there. Done that.

Mike

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#3 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Nice looking setup you got there caseboy.
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#4 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

thanks for the rubber band suggestion.i like simple! i don't have to worry about my top half going airborn as i ratchet strap camper to the stake holders from the boat rack brackets.works great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users