• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'm looking at placing my order in the next few days and have a question about how much battery/solar I need. Here are my accessories that require energy:
- the basic lights, no added options. with most of my camping spring- fall (long days), and wont use the lights for more than an hour per day max.
- fantastic fan - used to move a little air around, but with most camping at 8,000 ft or higher, not likely to be used often
- factory furnace - I really have no idea how much I will use this, but don't expect a lot. Its really for those few days a year where I might be in really cold conditions.
- frig - plan on getting the compressor that requires electricity
- recharging of misc stuff like computer, camera batteries, ipod, etc

I usually drive at least 30 minutes per day when I'm out, so am seldom sitting in one place. Usually have good solar conditions.

I'm been thinking of getting one battery plus solar, but wonder if I should get two batteries plus solar. My concern is not the added cost, but a second battery adds another 50 lbs.

I drive a 2006 Tundra and will be getting a Fleet.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Tough call. I somewhat recently added an ARB fridge to my set up and was sure I would need solar. My old Optima Blue Top died shortly thereafter and I bought a Diehard Platinum P1 (group 34) and so far I have camped several times for 3+ days in one spot and my battery has barely been phased. At this point I don't see solar in my future. Might be cheaper to pony up for a good battery and see how it works for you, you can always ad the solar (or another battery). This of course also depends on how much other electricty you will be using. Food for thought. Congrats on the new purchase.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

On my Raven I went for the two batteries and only the plug for the solar prewired. I've only had it out once but after one day and having the outside halogen flood lights on for over an hour, refer, heater light etc. the batteries were only half used. And that's probably primarily due to having the flood lights on for an hour while cooking/eating dinner. I'm going to get an LED lantern for the next dinning experience. Anyway, the batteries were at full charge after 1/2 hour of driving.

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

[quote name='DonC' date='08 March 2012 - 07:55 AM' timestamp='1331222153' post='65405']
I'm looking at placing my order in the next few days and have a question about how much battery/solar I need. Here are my accessories that require energy:
- the basic lights, no added options. with most of my camping spring- fall (long days), and wont use the lights for more than an hour per day max.
- fantastic fan - used to move a little air around, but with most camping at 8,000 ft or higher, not likely to be used often
- factory furnace - I really have no idea how much I will use this, but don't expect a lot. Its really for those few days a year where I might be in really cold conditions.
- frig - plan on getting the compressor that requires electricity
- recharging of misc stuff like computer, camera batteries, ipod, etc

I usually drive at least 30 minutes per day when I'm out, so am seldom sitting in one place. Usually have good solar conditions.

I'm been thinking of getting one battery plus solar, but wonder if I should get two batteries plus solar. My concern is not the added cost, but a second battery adds another 50 lbs.

DonC

No hot water or is that standard with this model now? I was talked into getting my set-up and I've ever so glad Stan did-one of the best things i got-I like my three-way frig-only had one problem in 6 years, and I had solar back up when it went out-kept the beer cold, lost the freezer though! Two is always better than one and don't end up a few years later like me wishing I'd bought more neat wigits, when I would have not noticed the $ in the whole $-buy it now and you will not regret it later. Oh yeh-the awning-still love it, except in windstorms!

Smoke

I
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

how does one battery plus solar, compare to two batteries? Is one combination better than the other?

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

how does one battery plus solar, compare to two batteries? Is one combination better than the other?

Man, there are a lot of variables that make that a tough question. Posted Image

If you're camping in shade or if it's cloudy then you'll do better with two well-charged batteries than with a battery and a solar panel.
On the other hand, if you're in a sunny area then you could stay indefinitely in one spot with a large-enough solar panel -- something you couldn't do with even multiple batteries that weren't being recharged.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Two batteries, whether you go solar or not. You won't get much out of one battery should you not have the solar for any reason.

Good Camping, Paul
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#8 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Two batteries was a no brainer for me. I don't see staying in one spot for more than a couple of days so that's why I didn't get solar. With the plug prewired, I can add it later if that assumption is wrong. Also, I'm glad I got the water heater with the electric start and flood lights. Having hot water for dishes, brushing teeth etc. was worth it, plus you get an extra 6 gallons of water storage.

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm in the 2 battery camp for my needs/desires (mainly to make sure I could run the heater for a good block of time winter camping at a ski hill), however with the cheap solar prices out there these days I've opted to pick up a 100w panel for my new build. I'm going to start out with the two batteries since I have them but if I find that I'm not really denting them much I may eventually shift to one battery but time will tell. The furnace in my new build will be the 1.8amp model verse the 3.4amp I have now and most of the new camper is 2" thick insulation so furnace draw should be down quite a bit.

Your situation I might say one large battery (ie get a 100+ah, not a 70ah) and solar may make for a good combo. Assuming it's sunny you can sit if you want and even if you don't sit it means you won't cycle your battery as deep so it'll last longer. If its not sunny you're moving around anyways so it'll charge it up. Two batteries is if you want to be able sit somewhere for a longer than a weekend in my mind or will have some high draws.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users