• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationStateline Nevada

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

I will be heading to Oakland for the Acrotastic Extravaganza next month for a five day workshop. Now that I have a camper I never want to get a hotel, but going to a heavy populated city I might be forced to. Any ideas on camping in that area? Under 1 hr drive time prefered. Two four wheels going but it might be better to take a small car and get a hotel. Workshop is downtown Oakland off Broadway.

Thank you for any suggestions

#2 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Too bad Anthony Chabot Regional Park campground is closed on weekdays until May 1st.
It is open on Friday (2pm) to Sunday (noon) though.

Here's some web links...

Wikipedia
Look for the Campground Map web link.

East Bay Regional Park District
This web link will take you to Anthony Chabot park, however, you can look around for other parks that may have a campground in the area.

Google
Read the reviews

#3 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

Honestly Oakland might be the last place in the Bay area I would consider camping at, my guess is you will be happier in a hotel. Now if you dont mind driving a little I could recommend a few decent campgrounds in the area?

I will be heading to Oakland for the Acrotastic Extravaganza next month for a five day workshop. Now that I have a camper I never want to get a hotel, but going to a heavy populated city I might be forced to. Any ideas on camping in that area? Under 1 hr drive time prefered. Two four wheels going but it might be better to take a small car and get a hotel. Workshop is downtown Oakland off Broadway.

Thank you for any suggestions

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Might give http://www.ebparks.org/parks/redwood a shot.

Yes downtown oakland might be a bit iffy but theres some very ritzy areas up in the hills.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

You can camp at Del Valle Lake in Livermore. Each day, you can drive to BART in Dublin. Get on BART and exist at the Broadway Station and walk to wherever you need to go.

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#6 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

You can camp at Del Valle Lake in Livermore. Each day, you can drive to BART in Dublin. Get on BART and exist at the Broadway Station and walk to wherever you need to go.
Darryl

The problem with that is you have to leave your FWC parked in the BART parking lot all day. I've had two vehicles broken into in the BART parking lots in the past 3 years (one at San Leandro and one at Dublin). Not a good idea imho.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#7 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

The problem with that is you have to leave your FWC parked in the BART parking lot all day. I've had two vehicles broken into in the BART parking lots in the past 3 years (one at San Leandro and one at Dublin). Not a good idea imho.

Dang it, Darryl’s idea was looking pretty good. We talked a bit today and the consensuses seems to be 1 Volkswagen, 4 people and a hotel room, probably the cheapest route in the long run.

#8 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:22 AM

Might give http://www.ebparks.org/parks/redwood a shot.

Yes downtown oakland might be a bit iffy but theres some very ritzy areas up in the hills.

I will check into this spot if we end up camping, Redwoods at night would be sweet!

#9 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:30 AM

Dang it, Darryl’s idea was looking pretty good. We talked a bit today and the consensuses seems to be 1 Volkswagen, 4 people and a hotel room, probably the cheapest route in the long run.

Sounds like a better solution to me.

All you have to do is cruise the BART parking lots looking for the tale tell signs of break ins.....piles of broken safety glass in parking stalls of unlucky BART patrons. After you get broken into the BART police officer will go to his trunk and hand you a small dust pan and broom to sweep up the majority of the glass if you prefer to do so....but there is always some glass left over to provide an observant person a clue as to what went on there.

I live in the area and I wouldn't want to camp in Oakland....and I wouldn't leave my FMC Hawk in the BART parking lot if you paid me to do so.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#10 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

I will check into this spot if we end up camping, Redwoods at night would be sweet!

The Oakland Hills is one of my favorite spots and I spend a lot of time there. My archery club, The Redwood Bowmen is located right next to the Chabot Space Center. In fact we share a multi-story parking facility with the Space Center. Just like BART...there are many break ins at that parking garage. Just cruise it and count the piles of glass.

Several members of our club have had vehicle break ins over the years. I don't park in the parking garage, I have a key to the fire road gate that allows me to park my truck and FWC right next to the Archery club house. We've never had a break in there as there are always some club members around to keep an eye on things.

The Redwood Hills area is breath taking though and worth a visit if you have the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users