120 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

I went with the memory foam topper (4", I think it was an inch and half memory, two and half foam) and it was too firm. Tossed a cheap little egg crate foam topper on top of that and it did the trick. Slept great this trip.

Posted Image

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

I have a 2011 Eagle and I love it....except the bed... hard as a plank. My wife and I both started using a thermorest as soon as we got back from the first trip.
My plan now is to buy this: "Serta Ultimate 4-inch Visco Memory Foam Mattress Topper" in the king bed size and cut to fit the covers for the large cushion and then have enough for at the four smaller ones from the cut off. I don't see why this wouldn't be an big improvement.... but if there is someone out there with "I tried that and it failed" info please let me know before I spend in May.
PS anyone want some really hard foam? (just kidding)

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#23 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

i have always heard, but have no first hand experience, from people who make custom sleeping bags and back packs (which included sleeping pads) that you do not want memory foam. memory foam holds a high moisture content and when the temps get cold will freeze and do exactly the opposite of what you are looking for (become almost solid). but that is in reference to actually sleeping on the ground, maybe a camper will stay warm enough

#24 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the input...I would think in the camper no moisture other than body would be an issue and that would be the same in a house, as opposed to having it in a tent on the ground. I already have an aluminum bubble wrap beneath the foam to deal with the cold...works well.(only under the overhang area as the camper part stays base warm).
A good chart to compare and contrast different foams is here:
http://www.foamite.com/foam_grades.php

Henry David Thoreau

#25 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

We've got memory foam pillows and experienced this phenomenon on our winter trip. The pillows turned hard as a rock in the cold camper. They eventually softened as they warmed up from camper and body heat but it was disconcerting at first. We since ditched those pillows and returned to conventional ones for camping. If you sleep in a cold camper like we occasionally do, I would not recommend memory foam.
2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#26 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

i forgot to add, that when the meemory foam stiffens up from cold, it also BECOMES cold, its like sleeping on an ice cube after all.

#27 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Last month I spent 7 days camping at the hot springs in Saline Valley. Now we have 20 days on it(Q41 foam). As it gets 'broken in' it is becoming more comfortable.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#28 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

I went with the memory foam topper (4", I think it was an inch and half memory, two and half foam) and it was too firm. Tossed a cheap little egg crate foam topper on top of that and it did the trick. Slept great this trip.

Posted Image

Did the same with the "egg crate",but placed mine inside the mattress cover.Works well,makes the 4" foam mattress nice to sleep on.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#29 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

I'm thinking now of this (and thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions...especially how to stay of the MF in the cold)
http://www.foamite.c...osh_natural.php

Henry David Thoreau

#30 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Jim,

Maybe a more detailed step-by-step description of the important parts would do. Step #1 is one I forgot to write previously.

1) Remove two piece, 4" thick (ATC), cushions from the pull out slider section of the bed and place on driver's side cabinet (originally a shell, now with my own interior), or standing on the floor, or someplace out of the way, i.e. not on the bed. This could be different on an FWC with a 2" foam mattress, as the two cushions may fit on top of the main cushion bed section, where the ATC has no space for two 4" cushions on top of each other (the ATC has a lower profile cabover than the FWC).

2) Slide, the empty bed slider in, so you can get to the lift panel support bar/handle and pull the top front down.

3) Slide the empty bed slider back out, and place the two piece cushions back in as if you are going to sleep, except that the top front is down, and the top back is still up.

4) Pull and lower the rear lift panel and the top rear.

In other words the bed is stowed in the same position that a person would sleep on it.
Does that work for you?

There is a loss of height inside the camper where the bed pull out is located if the top is down and you want to be inside. I don't worry about that as I don't use my ATC that way.
The ATC mattress at 4", with the lower profile cabover doesn't allow for a sleeping bag or pillows to remain on the bed, just not enough room. No sheets and no blankets for me, just sleeping bags, easier for me to deal with in setting up and breaking down the bed. I stow the sleeping bags and pillows inside the camper when traveling.

I should mention that this not my idea. it was told to me by the ATC guys... Marty said this is Jeff's neat way of carrying the slide out mattress cushions.

If that's not enough, let me know. I'll be home is a day or so, and would be glad to take some photos for you.

Allen

HI Allen,

How do you raise the front of the pop up? How do you get access to the lift panel with the bed fully slid out? I guess you can push in the slide in portion again? Maybe just need to try this myself.

Thanks,

Jim

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users