• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

I have a mid 90's Ranger II (same as the Eagle NE) and I just a 3" XL Alps pad on top of the original 2" foam pads. I tried the 4" Alps pad as well, but couldn't tell any difference over the 3" Alps. You can take out and use them other places as well.

CWD

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Comfort-Series-Air/dp/B000MNBLXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361693795&sr=8-1&keywords=ALPS+Mountaineering+Comfort+Series+Air+Pad

I use the 3 1/2" REI sleeping pad over the 2" foam. Sleep great with this combination.

#22 firemen7

firemen7

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Super Doody,
Our mattresses are 5" thick with a 4 1/2" organic cotton cover. the memory foam is 2" thick and is 5.3lbs/3ft, the base foam is the Dura Flex D-34 and is 3" thick.
We purchased the mattresses with the intent of being able to use them in the house as extra beds when the kids visit.
After several nights of camping both in cold weather and warm weather it was money well spent and would purchase them again.
Bud

2009 Single cab Silverado Z71 & 2005 Hawk
2018 Crew cab Silverado 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

2020 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

#23 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Super Doody,
Our mattresses are 5" thick with a 4 1/2" organic cotton cover. the memory foam is 2" thick and is 5.3lbs/3ft, the base foam is the Dura Flex D-34 and is 3" thick.
We purchased the mattresses with the intent of being able to use them in the house as extra beds when the kids visit.
After several nights of camping both in cold weather and warm weather it was money well spent and would purchase them again.
Bud

Hi Bud thanks for you messages and reply. I would like to minize gear and storage space so that's why I would like to go with the new mattress route rather than using a separate mattress which is the easier and cheaper option. I'll keep everyone posted with my decision.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#24 zanshin

zanshin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationThe Middle (near KC, MO)

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

We pulled the cushions and use 3" ThermaRest self-inflating camping pads in our 2011 Hawk. 25" wide, I believe... Two of those side-by-side fills the queen size space and stack easily under the dropped top with room to spare. We use a 1/2" thick yoga mat to level the sleeping surface that slides out. We like a soft but conforming mattress (the one at home is a premium solid latex foam) and these feel like a real bed. Easy to adjust depending on how weary we feel, and never feel like we're on a board. Super light weight since we're hauling in an F150 5.0L V8.

They're really too heavy to hike with, but can easily do double duty if we ever need to use the tent again, want to lay out watching the stars on a trip, or even house grandkids for a sleepover.

2012 4WC Hawk -- 2010 F-250 Supercrew (6.4L diesel with Cabela's package) and a Ruger C416 gear trailer

#25 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

We pulled the cushions and use 3" ThermaRest self-inflating camping pads in our 2011 Hawk. 25" wide, I believe... Two of those side-by-side fills the queen size space and stack easily under the dropped top with room to spare. We use a 1/2" thick yoga mat to level the sleeping surface that slides out. We like a soft but conforming mattress (the one at home is a premium solid latex foam) and these feel like a real bed. Easy to adjust depending on how weary we feel, and never feel like we're on a board. Super light weight since we're hauling in an F150 5.0L V8.

They're really too heavy to hike with, but can easily do double duty if we ever need to use the tent again, want to lay out watching the stars on a trip, or even house grandkids for a sleepover.

Zanshin,

Is this what you are using:
http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/neoair-dream/product

Sounds like a good solution but the cost is more than new foam pads.

I'm definitely using a 1/2'' mat to level out pull out/cab section.

Here is a solution for bridging the gap between mattresses:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=12184352

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#26 Elmattador100

Elmattador100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:38 PM

Hey Super Doody, 

I'm in the exact same predicament you were back in 2013... I have the same camper, with the 2" thick mattress. Looking to replace it, but don't want to give up storage space by carrying a second pad down low while driving. Did you ever pull the trigger on a new mattress, if so what did you buy and are you happy with it? Is it possible to get a comfortable mattress under 4"? 

Thanks for the help! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users