• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

Others probably know about this, but thought the thermal cooker was cool and useful on the road. Does anyone use one?

http://as4hourcrockp...4500-45l_9.html

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

No but if I was traveling around a lot (unfortunately I'm not) I could see one (or the concept) being useful to do some crock pot type cooking, seems like it'd be good esp. when feeding a family. But I suspect its probably an expensive solution to something I'd just rig up myself.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:47 AM

I have this for $60 and it is so-so. You have to bring everything up to temperature on a stove, and then it uses residual heat to finish cooking. Only certian foods take to that treatment well. I hear you can get them cheaper in the Asian markets.

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sbs_k_5
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#4 hoser

hoser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

I understand the more expensive units to have vacuum insulated walls vs styrofoam/?? insulated and the can retain heat much longer.
1998 Lexus LX470 1985 Land Cruiser BJ70

#5 WAND3R3R

WAND3R3R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

I have a Nissan Thermal Cooker and LOVE it, I use it a lot! The advantages with a thermal cooker are, once you have the contents of your meal boiling in the inner pot for a few mins, you can remove it from the heat source and place it in the outer thermal pot and it continues to cook. NO additional heat / energy source needed. It is safe for the truck camper users, because you can leave the cooker in the sink or on the counter and go hiking knowing that the food is still cooking without a continuous heat source!

WAND3R3R

www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

I just checked this thread and the link... I've never heard of such a thing, but it looks like a very cool idea! A crock pot that doesn't require electricity or other continuous heat input -- clever. Posted Image
Reviews at the Amazon.com link (8 reviews) are all positive/great.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

My wife and i have been using the Saratoga Jacks non-electric thermal cooker for two seasons at home and on the trail. We love it! She has the various inner pots so she can even bake bread/muffins/brownies etc : ) great for camping meal desert surprises!

Posted Image

Bring whatever dish up to a boil for a few minutes...put in thermal pot...come back after a day on the river or work shift and dinner is served. OR do some breakfast related meal before bed and breakfast/brunch is served when you arise.
Cheers,
Thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users