• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#161 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

That is a fine idea. I currently carry the T lug nut wrench so I can get some torque. The regular tire iron is useless without a 4 ft pipe to put on the end. I’d rather lose that T and add the torque wrench and socket. Thanks.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#162 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:38 AM

The high-lift jack handle makes an excellent 'cheater' bar.  I also carry an appropriately sized impact socket; I've broken regular sockets.

I also use anti-seize on the wheel studs.  Get a more consistent torque and lug nuts won't rust to the studs in the Minnesota road salt slush.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#163 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:49 PM

I carry a big ole' torque wrench in the truck all the time now and regularly check my wheels. I had a front wheel almost fall of on the highway last summer, and now i'm slightly paranoid. I must have neglected to tighten the lugs properly on one wheel and after hearing some terrible noises from my front end I pulled off the highway to find my front wheel extremely loose. One stud had snapped clean off, one other lug nut missing, and the remaining three were hand tight. The loose wheel also took my front brake caliper with it, which i had to have replaced. Since I seemed to have dodge that bullet, I went straight to Canadian Tire and bought a big 1/2" torque wrench which stays in the truck and I keep an eye on all the lug nuts now.

As far as a big breaker bar goes, the handle on my Hi-Lift makes the best one I've used as of yet.

I actually carry a "torque" wrench with the truck/camper.

I use it as a breaker bar.

Ever try to get the lugs loose after they have been tightened?

Also a deep socket helps.I don't rely on the truck jack or lug wrench.

Thanks for the story.

Frank

Edited by trikebubble, 08 February 2019 - 11:50 PM.

#164 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:25 AM

Torque wrenches really aren't meant to be used as a breaker bar. If you're using a beam style you probably aren't hurting anything, but a clicker will soon go out of calibration and be unreliable as a torque wrench.

A fact that I saw well demonstrated in High School Auto Shop is that you can't accurately or consistently torque fasteners without some sort of guide, be it a torque wrench or something. When I need to torque lug nuts in the field I tuck a pinky finger under the others and the handle. Maybe I can't torque them consistently w/o a guide, but I can repeat fairly exactly just how much pain from squishing that little finger. I think that's enough of a guide.

I carry a 24" 1/2" drive Craftsman breaker bar, a deep socket, and the extension needed to get the bar in the right place. The trick that I taught my ~100 lbs. wife for breaking loose lug nuts is to get the bar as horizontal as you can, and then STAND on the handle. Right there she's generating 150-200 ft-lbs of torque depending on the length of the lug wrench. If that doesn't break it loose give it a bounce or two. The bouncing can easily triple that torque.

I don't have salt on the roads to consider and I use anti-seize on the lug studs.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#165 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

Apply that tourqe then smack it with a 4 pound hand jack. Now you've simulated a impact hammer.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#166 Sledawg

Sledawg

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:57 PM

Done some stupid things with my Fleet. Yet another one. Month ago had a great trip up CA 395 (Horton Creek / Coyote Flats / Mazourka Peak). As usual when I get home I clean and prep the truck and camper for the next trip. I missed one small detail. I use bubble wrap in the egg shelf of the fridge. One egg was left behind and I haven’t been back in the camper for a month. Warm weather, enclosed space and 30 days result in an wonderful aroma. I’m still airing the camper out after finding it a day ago.

Edited by Sledawg, 01 September 2019 - 09:08 PM.

2021 Off Road TACOMA 2013 FWC Fleet
Going Insane Diego!

#167 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,339 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

Oh my goodness, hard to miss wasn't it? Best of luck with the airing out. :)

Done something stupid things with my Fleet. Yet another one. Month ago had a great trip up CA 395 (Horton Creek / Coyote Flats / Mazourka Peak). As usual when I get home I clean and prep the truck and camper for the next trip. I missed one small detail. I use bubble wrap in the egg shelf of the fridge. One egg was left behind and I haven’t been back in the camper for a month. Warm weather, enclosed space and 30 days result in an wonderful aroma. I’m still airing the camper out after finding it a day ago.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#168 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:13 AM

There goes the new camper smell...

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#169 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

"Done something really stupid?"

Do you mean today?

#170 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,339 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:06 AM

Done something really stupid......................................

Brace yourselves, this will not be a pretty one. I'll make it quick and to the point. I started this thread years ago with the story about leaving something on top a tire, forgetting about it, and then running it over. I still have not learned this lesson. Starting out on a hike from the truck recently, the morning call to duty had me hurriedly grabbing a WAG bag. You can put together the rest of the story.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users