48 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:49 AM

Looking at my favorite visible satellite view of the West today, I noticed a huge area of smokiness in SW Oregon and NW California, mostly from the Douglas Complex fire, located NNW of Grants Pass, Oregon. (there are several other smaller fires within that circle, too)

VIS1EKA_20130805-1.gif

I've been hearing about this fire and its affect on air/breathing quality in SW OR for a few days, but this is the first time I noticed it visually.  :(

I always say "The West is best!"...but I guess the widespread forest fires out here every summer are one aspect of the West that isn't quite "best". 

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

I wholeheartedly agree that for certain styles of outdoor travel and recreation, the "West is the best".  Fire season adds another layer of complexity to travel planning.  For that reason, and given that I must dedicate a full week to simply getting to and home from MT, ID, and WY, I always have a roughed-in "Plan B and Plan C" in the event of forest fire closures. 

In late July 2000, we departed Rock Creek, MT for Missoula, turned in our (badly thrashed) Dodge Durango, and flew home. Two days later all of Rock Creek and much of the Lolo NF and Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF was closed to all camping and recreational use due to an extreme outbreak of fires.  Had we been headed IN for our trip then, all of our plans would have had to change. By the way, we had NOTHING to do with the fires. Dry lightning storms had passed over a wide area during our final night at the Stony Creek cabin, and as we drove the final 35 miles out of the Canyon to I-90, we saw several smoke plumes along the ridges, choppers dipping water out of Rock Creek, and an army of firefighters headed up the canyon. 

In that part of the West, there is a "sweet spot" roughly mid-June to mid- late July, when the rivers and streams have fallen back below peak runoff stage (so are more likely fordable and fishable) and before the annual fire problems are so widespread. 

Foy

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

We had a couple days of breathing Oregon smoke until the winds shifted. I did a quick overnighter last weekend up to the ENF. I saw a smoke plume from highway 50. Got on the 2 meter and heard it just happened to be right where I was going. Fortunately it turned out to be only 15 acres and a  bit south of where I was going. I did get to see a helicopter dipping into Jenkinson Res on the way in. We've been lucky here with no big fires yet.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:27 AM

Well, I just came back from a quick stop at Soup Springs CG on the Modoc( running from the heat, smoke and winds) :wacko: , it was smoke all the way up and back on 395 and windy, hot and unconfortable everywhere :blink: ---and I forgot my camera so I couldn't record camping in the Red Flag zone :o ! Soup Springs is a horse camp and starting point for both backpacking and horse riding  in the South Warners Wilderness area. I was surprised that it was not a bad place-I was the only camper for the last week and stayed on the side away from the corrals and those folks were okay--campers one side, horse people on the other. The camp is at 6700' in the lodgepole and aspens and is a good location if you want to back pack in and fish. I was originally heading up to Cave Lake (fishing was supposed to be great there) in the northern Warners, but I ran by the CG's in the South Warners just to check them out &  found no one at Soup Springs so stayed, the horse folks arrived later with lot's of beer!.   Planned to leave yesterday for the Cave Lake then over toward the Steens, then south, but my dog "Bob" got into something (dead rat??), got sick and crapped all over the inside of the FWC :angry: one midnight-(glad no camara ).Bob doesn't do those things and actually seemed embarassed by it all-I had to keep cleaning him up-his long hair no help, and yestertday he got better and ready to play, but  boy, I couldn't get the FWC cleaned out so I'm home again to clean it up-in the smoke, wind and heat! Hope to leave soon again-with camera, but despite the bad weather it was not that bad at Soup Springs CG!  Last night up there had lot's of thunder and lightning, and some rain-another reason to come home!

Smoke and Bob :D !

Edited by Smokecreek1, 08 August 2013 - 02:05 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

I was on top of Steens Mtn (9700') over the weekend and the views in all directions were a little hazy but not too bad overall. Could be worse by now but seems like the winds are kicking up a bit which is not good for the fires....

I remember one trip in the late 80's when the view from Steens summit was like being in a fog bank, could not even see the Alvord Desert, a mere 5000' below.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

It's bad to breathe in southwestern Oregon:

Wildfire Smoke in Southern Oregon Leads to Emergency Room Visits 

Aug. 8, 2013 | OPB

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:29 AM

It's like the end of the world here-dark skys, lot's of wind, hot, a trace of smoke smell in the air-some thunder rumblings and lightning  here and there, yep,  a threat of rain, must be fire season again :unsure: ! But where to go? I was thinking of meeting a buddy out near Austin early next week, but the red flag warnings are still about, so anyone have any ideas ^_^ of where it's safe to run with out fighting fire----shark week will be over so got to find a place go with my clean and nice smelling FWC camper :D !!!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Wondering the same thing Smoke. Three days off and thunderstorms in the forecast. Makes me glad I have good shelter. I think I'll make up my mind once I hit the road. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

You guys out there in the west have my sympathy. No fire danger around these parts, everything is nice and green. But we do have bugs to contend with- not the same as fire, I know.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#10 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

TONS of smoke and in some places ash in the Reno/Tahoe/Carson area from the Rim fire.  Currently at approximately 100K acres and 1% containment, it was at ~14k acres yesterday morning...

2004 Nissan Titan w/ 2011 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users