10 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

We bought some beautiful scallops from Vicente and I had a great chat with him; he even showed us a scar from a mako bite he'd gotten years before.
Again no fish so we decide to finally head over to Asuncion.
We had originally planned on going there for the first part of the trip but SWIMPAL wanted to get a little more experience on her new kayak before she tackled the Pacific.
We got to Juan and Shari's http://www.bajabnb.com/php/ and were greeted with open arms and looks of relief, seems Shari had not gotten the message we'd left for her days before.
Posted Image
Their little place is terrific and they are spectacular hosts and very special people. They are both wonderful cooks and we ate all kinds of yummy seafood's including the amazing Caracol.
We were having such a good time just eating and gabbing, the yaks never even touched the water but on Saturday Juan and I went fishing and I had the best day fishing I've had in years.
The Cooperative in this area is an example for the rest of Baja and does a tremendous job protecting the abundant local resources
I'm not saying just where we went but the water was gin clear and when I made my first cast with a big 4oz Kroc that had been bouncing around in my tackle bag for years, I was instantly on.
Juan said he could see the very big yellow down on the bottom but I was too busy to look. 15 minutes of the toughest fish I've ever fought but I lost the fight and it took me into the rocks.
I finally got smart and whipped out the surface iron and made short work of four very nice yellows including the big lifetime best model and countless barracuda and bonito who were climbing over each other to get at my chewed up Kicker Jig which the big yellow finally trashed. Another huge one actually bent open a big heavy siwash hook on one of my Krocs. Certainly the best iron bite of my life.
Posted Image

We moved to another spot and Juan suggested I try the Gulp shad I’d brought on a big lead head and I'm instantly hooking up with 4-6lb calicos and the other personal best a monster 9 pounder; it hit so hard I thought it was another yellowtail.

Posted Image

We could have stayed at the Blowhole for ever but duty calls and we headed back Monday morning. On the way home we stopped at Baja Cactus in El Rosario for the night. We loved it! The place is absolutely beautiful and we have a new favorite stopping spot. Although next time I'm going to get a room on the top floor in the back;some rude racer types showed up late and woke everybody in the joint up with their banging around.
We got into town about sundown and did not want to eat at Mama E's; the girls in the office sent us up the road to the restaurant next to the Sinahloa RV/Hotel and we had another great meal.
The next morning we ended up going the LONG way home; through Mexicali.Let's just say we wanted to take the scenic route.
Got home Tuesday night around 6pm plum tuckered but ready to go back at the drop of a hat.
I sure wish that darned Mex hiway 1 was little wider though.
A good time was had by all.......
Posted Image

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:59 PM

Awesome report. Saw yours and Shari's posts over on the Nomad board as well.

I was down there last month and spent a couple of days with Juan and Shari, what great people, and what a piece of land they have eh? Man.

Sounds like a great trip, and congrats on your catch. Also, Nice job evading what could have been a bad shakedown, it sure is getting bad in TJ these days.

#3 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

Hey Uncle,

Nice report and great photos. Just looking at that Calico makes my mouth water.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#4 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:36 PM

Good Stuff UG! I guess Assuncion is kicking out some big Yellows!

I can't wait to get down that way and check those guys out.

how big was the Yellow tail??

#5 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

32 lbs on my fishlipper scale.
They had actually been catching them off the beach a couple days prior!
Posted Image
I think this is what they call a sh!t eating grin!:D

#6 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:00 AM

I guess you'd have to rethink the "surface bite of a lifetime" statement if you got homeguard like that off the beach:eek:

What a great time of year to be in central Baja (or anywhere in Baja!)

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

I love the pix Grumps. Sounds like a terrific time except for the AH in TJ.

Where did you get your Sindicatura sign? I usually download one and print it out. I didn't know they were available to the public.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

We got it from a friend who has a place at Erendira.
I don't think I'll put it on again; it may be a magnet for the bad guys now.:rolleyes:

#9 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:24 PM

whats a "Sindicatura" sign? i dont see what you mean....where is it? which pic?
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

Sindicatura is a government entity where you can report corrupt officials in TJ. I think Grumps may be right about it being a magnet for the bad guys. Another friend told me he has stopped flying the sign in his back window because he heard the same thing.

Attached Thumbnails

• sindicatura 4x4.jpg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users