Sportsmobile vs Four Wheel Campers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:36 AM

My Sportsmobile which has the long wheel base seems to do well climbing. The first hill I went up was in a ORV park. It was a gravel pit. The climb, a small one was about 75 ft. @ almost 45 degrees! I was amazed that I didn't bottom out on the back end. The top of the hill had a slight roll to it.That's probably why I didn't high center midship. This sportsmbile has 33x12.5x16.5 tires so I have a LOT of ground clearence body wise. Pumpkins are still only 12 or so inches though. I saw a nice Dodge Dakota with a Four Wheel Camper today on my way to work at the fire station. Boy, it looked pretty small in comparison to the size of a lifted, extended length, full sized cargo van! But still, for what I paid for a used rig I could have gotten a REALLY nice truck and Four Wheel Camper! Sometimes smaller IS better. I really like my Sportsmobile though. See ya down road...Dennis...

#12 dustinbriq

dustinbriq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:28 AM

Hi,

I'm a new Sportsmobile owner. I have both a 4x4 camper and just recently purchased a Sportsmobile 4x4 Extended Body. For me, the Sportsmobile fit the bill. I have a wife, small child, and 3 dogs that we take on trips. I couldn't fit the dogs comfortably in the camper, thus creating the need for more room. I also didn't want to be confined to rv parks, so I had to find something small yet capable off road. That left only one choice for me. Anyway, it's really nice having more room, 2 beds for the 3 of us, and floor space for the dogs. The dvd/lcd monitors, gps, nice stereo system, and all of the amenities of the sportsmobile are an added bonus.

http://www.cardomain.../ride/2274307/1

#13 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:37 PM

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for posting the pics. Looks great! Where did you pick that up at? Yeah, Sportsmobiles are some sweet rigs alright.

#14 dustinbriq

dustinbriq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

I picked it up via private party sale locally. (San Diego) It only had 26k on the odo and was in extremely clean condition.

#15 chamster

chamster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:53 AM

Hey Dustinbrig,

I'm shopping around for Sportsmobile or FWC, probably whichever comes first that I can afford. Mind answering a couple questions about your rig?

1. How much did it cost you?

2. Have you tested the gas mileage on it?

Sweet looking rig!

Thanks,
Bob

#16 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:12 AM

Thought you might like to take a look at set up I found on Craigslist. This is a package deal. I always keep my eye out. I was going to buy a FWC but found a Sportsmobile instead. I have a 1994 Ford E350 4X4 Sportsmobile. I paid 26K for it. But it IS loaded! I had the exhaust re-done and the injectors just cleaned. I was getting 9.4 with the 7.5L (460) gas motor. After the work I am now getting 11.5-12.2 depending on how I drive. "Got to let them breathe"! Anyway check out this package if you like. Good luck with your search...captainkettel...

1990 Ford F150 4x4 with 8ft Pop-Up Camper - $6000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-209843912@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-09-20, 9:48AM MDT

Up for sale is my 1990 Ford 4x4 Pickup and 4-wheel brand 8ft pop-up camper.

Truck details,
5.0 Liter V8 engine, 5-speed manual trans, 4 Wheel drive, locking hubs. Many new parts, runs good, very dependable.

Camper details,
1994 4-wheel pop-up brand 8ft camper. Has sink, stove, heater, etc. Very nice condition. Used very little. New $400.00 set of camper jacks included. Has new propane tank with the newer type connections.

Hunting season is just around the corner. This is a great hunting rig.

Asking $6000.00 for the truck and camper, or will separate and sell each for $3000.00

Email Scott at: scottsmopar@yahoo.com OR call 303-823-6490

this is in or around Lyons, CO

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2006 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

#17 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:22 AM

This is a photo of Matanuska Glacier range on the Glen Hwy between Tok and Palmer. This is in south central ALASKA. The Van is my 1994 4X4 Sportsmobile. This was taken in late August before the the snow. When I raise my penthouse I have a ton of room. I think probably even more than in the Grandby FWC models.

Attached Thumbnails

• phpuAymOPPM.jpg

#18 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:16 AM

Well I have owned my 1994 4X4 Sportsmobile for just a little over a year now. I have put a little over 12,000 miles on my rig! This first year I have gone farther and seen more Adventure than I would have ever hope for! I traveled from Reno to my home in Washington. Then around the Scenic Olympic Loop in Washington. I did my usual trip to Alaska and the Kenai Peninsula. For the holidays I went on the Turtle Expeditions Baja Adventure. Then to cap off my first years ownership I traveled to Death Valley to see the spring bloom which never happened. Yet all these Adventures were just that. An Adventure! I have seen and talked to a number of FWC owners. I convinced my brother how wonderful a FWC was and he purchased one to bring on this years adventures. Throughout the whole year this has been a very informative and useful crowd. I would just like to say thanks for the help and trip info. I hope to see you on my travels for this year...captainkettel...:D

#19 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:15 AM

I have a 1994 Ford E350 4X4 Sportsmobile. I paid 26K for it. But it IS loaded! I had the exhaust re-done and the injectors just cleaned. I was getting 9.4 with the 7.5L (460) gas motor. After the work I am now getting 11.5-12.2 depending on how I drive. "Got to let them breathe"! Anyway check out this package if you like. Good luck with your search...captainkettel...

The first time I saw a Sportsmobile I thought it was a great idea. A truck camper kind of separates the amenities of the cab from the camper (though with the sliding window on the camper, at least the dogs can use the front at night). I think you paid a great price, especially when you compare to new. I think I've seen diesel Sportsmobiles. Those would bring a hefty price, but would be great combination for economy, torque and engine life.

#20 dustinbriq

dustinbriq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:38 AM

Hey Dustinbrig,

I'm shopping around for Sportsmobile or FWC, probably whichever comes first that I can afford. Mind answering a couple questions about your rig?

1. How much did it cost you?

2. Have you tested the gas mileage on it?

Sweet looking rig!

Thanks,
Bob

Sorry for the long delay, as I just found this thread again. Cost on the Sportsmobile was pretty heavy, around $62k. The gas mileage isn't the best at around 10-12, depending how I drive. It does have a 44 gallon tank, so the range is way over 450 miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users