104 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Here in extreme drought ridden northern California I'm trying to keep my spirits up but it is hard. It feels like spring has been here since January. This over a year long persistent storm blocking high pressure ridge over the Pacific remains in place. Hell it could stay this way for years. I just saw the forecast for continued higher than normal temps for both April and May. We're saying just screw it and throwing caution to the wind. The awning is going up over the deck and the snowblower gas container is getting emptied into the truck. Screw it.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Ummmmm, happy vernal equinox to you too, Ski.  :blink:   I do know how you feel, though. Our limited snowpack is almost gone and it's going to be dry, dry, dry. I expect the NFs around here will have to close to the public this spring, unless there are unexpected periods of rain. In past years, they tried to keep the Lincoln NF open until the end of spring turkey season. I wonder if they will be able to wait that long this year?

So, my springtime wish for all of us in the drought-stricken West is that we get unexpected rainfall at the right intervals to keep the fire danger somewhat manageable. Dream on.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#3 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Up here in western Oregon we've been fortunate enough to avoid serious drought conditions, so far.  February storms were long, strong and extraordinarily wet, but now we're having an unusual spell of dry and mostly sunny weather.  If I heard correctly, I believe it was the ski lift near Ashland that didn't even open this year.  We're not breaking out the patio furniture yet, I don't expect it to last.  However, we are confident enough to schedule our Hammerhead weekend for McMenamins Edgefield for late May instead of June.  The times appear to be changing, I suppose I'll have to change some too.

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Yep-sure doesn't seem, look like or feel like the first day of spring-although March Madness"  is on tv! It seems like every plant I have-has decided to come up at once or is budding-not just the crocus, but everything -sort of like doing their thing while they can to propagate-a bad sign me thinks!  So we might as well use the weather like the "Ski's", and WTW! That is, until they close the woods down due to fire danger or everything out there is burning away. :blink:   Gotta think positive-right :D-more time to adventure !

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 20 March 2014 - 04:46 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 montana-moods

montana-moods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHelena, Montana

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

We dealt with a tough winter in Montana starting in February. Many days way south of 0 some south of -30 F. However we did get snow (including this morning) and now have the promise of a very green spring. We have been watching the dry condition in California especially and it doesn't look good. Hopefully some spring storms arrive and help soften the drought.

Dodge Ram 2500 with a FWC Hawk flatbed now tried and tested.  

Working to hold back entropy one day at a time.

#6 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

Here in extreme drought ridden northern California I'm trying to keep my spirits up but it is hard. It feels like spring has been here since January. This over a year long persistent storm blocking high pressure ridge over the Pacific remains in place. Hell it could stay this way for years. I just saw the forecast for continued higher than normal temps for both April and May. We're saying just screw it and throwing caution to the wind. The awning is going up over the deck and the snowblower gas container is getting emptied into the truck. Screw it.

Good job taking one for the team. Hopefully Murphy won't let you (us) down :)

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

Well, we had a real winter here in Minnesota. Here are some statistics for the Twin Cities metro area:

50: total days with lows below zero

17: consecutive days of subzero lows

21: days with lows below zero in an average year

Nov. 3: First snow of this winter

6: More weeks of snow than usual

95.7: percent of Lake Superior iced over

61: inches of total snowfall as of March 19

24: inches of snow at its greatest depth, Feb. 21

Recently we have had some spring-like days with highs in the 40s and we are melting snow. Of course we are not out of the winter weather woods for at least another month. Last year we had snow on May 3. :o

While we hope for warmer days, our thoughts are with you all suffering through the drought in the west.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#8 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

Maybe I'll plant some tomatoes this weekend. Just like washing your car brings rain, planting early ought to bring in some cold weather. Worst case scenario, it will be a long tomato season. Win Win! :) Of course, that is if we are allowed to water the plants. :( Nevermind.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

Well, we had a real winter here in Minnesota.  
<snip>

Yup, right over the top of us carrying moisture from the Pacific,  catch some nice cold arctic air up north, and deliver it all to you fine folks. We are all connected. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:25 AM

We've heard some real strange suggestions (pipe the water from the East back here (seem a lot of people have never looked at a topo map. Drain Lake Tahoe (does that even need a comment?). I've heard, can't let the farms go dry, people need food ( nevermind most of our crops are exported). Industry doesn't use much water ( huh? we just put in a new 8" water main because we'd maxxed out the old 6" main. I think industrial usage is underreoprted (after all it is a revenue stream).

I hope for more rain but I have this suspicion we're returning to a more normal pattern, where the wet pattern we grew up with was an aberration.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users