31 replies to this topic

#21 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, Craig, I've been looking at my recipe collection too.

JHa6av8r, if the wind was blowing pretty good, you wouldn't have to listen for it. Pretty hard to miss. Almost like something falling out of a tree and hitting the roof. So I would say you are fine. And we asked other FWC owners if they experienced it while on our trip and they had not. Based on the responses to the original post of this thread, I believe this is limited to a very few campers and not a production issue. Much the same as Captm's experience.

I do want to stress that FWC immediately set a date and time to drop off the camper when we called them about the issue. They have had numerous staff examining the camper and had round table discussions on possible causes and how to fix it. They have shown every indication from the start that they intend to make it right. Do they wish this thread wasn't on WTW. What business wouldn't? But when you build 400+ campers a year. They can't all be perfect. But I feel FWC is handling it correctly. By contrast, check out the thread on Expedition Portal by MyTaco - http://www.expeditio...x-Pop-Up-Camper .

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#22 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:53 AM

Not a lot of wind but no oil can noise on our shake down trip.  I do hear it when I lift the front of the camper, nothing I would worry about. 

Edited by billharr, 12 April 2014 - 12:53 AM.

#23 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

Ted, a few days back, I was working (cleaning) in the camper. There was some oil canning (one pop) when I brought the top down. If I remember correctly, it was when I brought the back down after first lowering the front. Looks like it doesn't always take wind.

Edit: I just saw Bill's post. Sounds similar..

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 12 April 2014 - 01:24 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#24 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:13 AM

.... Like Stan said, their quality is good but they are built by humans....

Well, there's your problem -- when will the unions let the androids go to work? 

...By contrast, check out the thread on Expedition Portal by MyTaco - http://www.expeditio...x-Pop-Up-Camper .

I believe it!  Don't ask me about my experience with a new Phoenix pop-up.  <_<

But that was over 14 years ago, and I've almost gotten over it...  :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a bystander, I'd say this is in the category of "these things happen", and as long as FWC continues to make a sincere effort to make it right -- and eventually does make it right -- they're doing OK.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#25 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:47 AM

Ted, What happened with your roof problem??  How long was the camper in the shop, how was it repaired, are you satisfied with the outcome?

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#26 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:50 PM

Has this oil-canning roof noise issue been resolved by FWC?

#27 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

Its been over two years since "Bill-the-Hiker asked his question?  

I don't recall if there was an answer? Does anyone know?

My roof still "oil cans"  when the wind strikes the side at certain angles. I now carry ear plugs the simplest fix as I don;t want to have to take the whole camper apart to fix a problem that only happens 10% of the time. 

An easy fix is to re-position the camper into the wind.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#28 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:20 AM

After adding a solar panel the oil canning is significantly reduced while camping with the roof up. Never noticed it while driving. Last night there were many gusts 20-45 mph and there were three large changes in direction, exactly as forecast, from NNE TO North THEN WEST, so not motivated. to move the truck with a wind chill in the 20's. But when I am able to point into the wind it helps a lot. I now find the noise from the shaking if the soft sided more annoying than the roof.

#29 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

A broken roof rafter had fallen on the driver side of my hawk there was a dented and deformed section that had negative bow. Using a small hydraulic jack and various blocking I was able to straighten the dent and then re arch the entire roof. It is slightly more arched than stock but closes well and never pools. The Aluminium is easy to manipulate just go slow and not too far

#30 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:10 AM

I have a 2018 fleet & I have not noticed any oil canning in high winds. BTW, I only have the 2 vents & the 1 solar panel on my roof.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users