• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:45 AM

I'm looking for a hitch mounted cargo carrier for carrying large bulk items so I can free up space in the camper. Recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

These 2 looks like top contenders:

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

http://t.harborfreig...q=Cargo carrier

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

Yep, I have this one.  Don't use it much, but it is sturdy and works fine.  Cost even less with with a 25% coupon.

http://www.harborfre...rier-69858.html

#4 WAND3R3R

WAND3R3R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

I own a Rola swing out cargo carrier for my F350 w Bigfoot Camper and it works well, it's large and keeps the rain out but it is plastic and the locks are pretty much useless!  If I had to do it over again,  I would buy a truck bed toolbox and have a metal shop attach it to a piece of 2" square steel to fit into the receiver.  Then I could use the toolbox as a step into my camper.  The tool boxes are sturdy and would severe a dual purpose as step and cargo carrier.  I still may do it, but for the next 2 months I am going to be in the Tacoma so no immediate need.  

-AK

WAND3R3R

www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com

#5 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:24 AM

I'm in the market too for one of these.  I have one right now, but it's a bit too small.  Of the two you listed I'd get the second one as it's a bit bigger.  Look at the Curt models too as they are pretty nice and USA made.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#6 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

I use a foldable cargo carrier whichmounts on the front of my truck using a winch mount. Stays folded and holds jerry cans. I will try to post a photo. It is pretty slick. Works well on the front cause the dirt does not get kick up there.

#7 JCatt

JCatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne IN

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

I own a Rola swing out cargo carrier for my F350 w Bigfoot Camper and it works well, it's large and keeps the rain out but it is plastic and the locks are pretty much useless!  If I had to do it over again,  I would buy a truck bed toolbox and have a metal shop attach it to a piece of 2" square steel to fit into the receiver.  Then I could use the toolbox as a step into my camper.  The tool boxes are sturdy and would severe a dual purpose as step and cargo carrier.  I still may do it, but for the next 2 months I am going to be in the Tacoma so no immediate need.  

-AK

I was looking at the Rola swingarm frame to mount a truck box. Do you feel the Rola swingarm unit is sturdy? 

2014 FWC Hawk

#8 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

Looks flimsy on Amazon

#9 JCatt

JCatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne IN

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

We will see what happens here soon. Went ahead and ordered the Rola swing arm mount and will be mounting a tool box to it. Also going to use an anti rattle hitch pin and see if that helps shore it up. There are a lot of devices made to stabilize a 2" but mine is 2.5. The pin I ordered is the silent hitch pin from Lets Go Aero. 

2014 FWC Hawk

#10 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

FWIW - I've used a hitch carrier to carry a lot of stuff over the years.  Including hundreds of dead wild pigs (I use to work as a hunting guide).  In all that time I've never used an anti-rattle stabilizer and I've come to the conclusion they're not needed.  The carriers that I had never rattled and I've driven them across thousands of miles of rough ranch roads and down interstates!  They've swayed left to right a bit, but it doesn't matter to the hitch or the truck.

Edited by Bwht4x4, 05 May 2014 - 05:58 PM.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users