19 replies to this topic

#1 snorris

snorris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCarmel Ca

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Does anybody have this set up? Looks like the payload is 1500# for the Tundra. Not really interested in 3/4 tons, long beds etc. I would put a number of options on the Hawk. I would put what ever is necessary on the trk, air bags, timbrens, e rated tires etc. Any advice appreciated. :)

#2 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

I Love My Setup And Wouldn't Consider Getting A 3/4 Ton. No Need To, As The Tundras Are Beefy And Handle The Loaded Hawk Very Well.

Air Bags And E-RIated Tires Are A Must If You Off Road it At All. No Need to Add This stuff With Just A Basic Metal Side Shell Though. I Do Use The Truck For Things That Warrant The Bags And Have Had Zero Issues Or Complaints.

Several Others On Here With Similar Setup So Don't Just Take My Word For It!

Feel Free To Browse My Gallery For My Setup.

Good Luck.

Edited by KILR0Y, 17 April 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#3 snorris

snorris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCarmel Ca

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Kilroy

Thanks for the info it was what I was hoping to hear. May have some more questions for you if that is o.k. :)

#4 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

Of Course. PM Me Anytime.

#5 griz

griz

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationCampbell River, B.C.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

first, i too have a half ton truck with a hawk. but do the math. be careful thats all. no matter what mods u do to the truck at the end of the day its still 1500. for me the timbrens were the way to go, and i am happy with them. no more saggy bum and the sway is gone.

with all the after market stuff, ie. timbrens, air bags, E rated tires. brakes are still the same and one feels them being a little slower.

all and all watch your weight, which is why most of us have these rigs in the first place, u will be fine. enjoy................

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

#6 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

I am running a 1500 pound hawk on my 05 DC tundra. Put it on and drive it. I don't feel the issues that others are warning about. The Manager of the Toyota service dept drives mine every time I have it serviced. He takes it to work with him. He drives it 30 miles the day that he services it. He said it felt great and is now recommending them to other tundra owners. 

#7 snorris

snorris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCarmel Ca

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for all the good info guy's, really appreciate it. Will be using it for my fishing trips and hiking trips to the mountains and desert.

#8 Costeno

Costeno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLeucadia, CA

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:01 AM

Be careful.  The older style Tundras are definately suseptible to bent frames.  Not sure about the second and third generation Tundras.  First generation had a "C" channel rear frame that when over stressed would bend between the cab and the box.  I bent my '06 frame on the road between San Ignacio and Laguna San Ignacio.  A double woopty doo that tore out the eye bolts on the camper and slid the Kestral four feet back.  My truck looked like a pouncing jack rabbit.  I was only doing 25 on the graded gravel road. 

The truck frame was straightened.  The camper was repaired.  Just a very scarry trip 600 miles south of the border. 

I now have a new Hawk (2014) on a F250 4X4(2013), short bed, extended cab.  Really stoked with the upgrade.  Peace of Mind for my Baja trips. 

2013 Extended Cab, Short Bed Ford F250, 4X4, 2014 Hawk FWC with all the goodies.

#9 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:02 AM

Don't forget while you're shopping around for pickups, be sure and crawl under them and look at the brake calipers, rotors, tie-rod ends, pittman arm, drag link, ball joints and other components like Trans/drive-line.  And remember that those are just the components that you can see on the outside.  The Tundra has many components comparable to a 3/4 ton pickup in some cases, and is definitely more robust than other pickups in the same 1/2 ton class (mostly Ram). 

I got a kick out of this when I bought my Tundra:  I had the dealership (they sell both Toyota and Dodge pickups) put a factory leveling kit on the Tundra to bring the front back up to level, and when the truck was on the lift I compared these parts to the Ram 1500 on the next lift & bay down.  I was quite amazed at Chrysler Corp. for skimping on these parts and was reassured that I had made the right purchase at that point, especially paying about $4K less.  There was a noticeable difference between the two, with the Tundra being built with beefier parts. This is something that you just can't argue when you hold parts side-by-side and compare.

I've owned Ram 1500's, 2500's, and Silverado 1500's and 2500's over the past 15 years and enjoy this pickup more than any of them.  The Tundra isn't perfect, because I do see more bed-flex or frame-flex with the camper on, and know that the F150 has a much better frame for payload and stiffness.  It's also a stiffer ride.  

Hopefully this post won't generate haters or worse the infamous Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument.   I merely wanted to dispel the thoughts that the 1/2 ton Tundra won't handle the Hawk.  I also wanted to give you one man's experience with the Tundra (like you asked).  With the 10,500lb towing capacity and 1500lbs payload rating, I'm guessing that my 1900lb Hawk (loaded) is in good hands with this pickup for stopping.  And 381 HP and consistent 15MPG in town and 18MPG on the highway is palatable.  As a bonus, you'll save some cash on the purchase price and maintain a reasonably good ride with the 'smaller' truck.  I have owned the 3/4 ton trucks too and will say that the Tundra is more than capable of doing the job you're wanting it to do.

Personally, one of the nicest looking (and likely very capable) pickups on this forum is owned by "Lighthawk".  They own a few year old Tundra and Hawk combo that I'm sure has served them well.  I've always appreciated the craftsmanship of Toyota's. 

Depending on where you look, Tundra is tied with the F-150 for 75% domestic parts while the RAM is around 65% domestic parts.  Chevy is at 40% with much of it being from Mexico.  The figures vary from site to site, but it is an interesting comparison indeed.  It kind of sucks that the Jap's make such a good truck because prefer buying American...

The last interesting thing I'll be watching is next year when the Tundra has a Cummin's 5.0L V8 diesel engine under the hood! 

I hope this is also helpful.

KILR0Y

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:36 AM

Personally, one of the nicest looking (and likely very capable) pickups on this forum is owned by "Lighthawk".  They own a few year old Tundra and Hawk combo that I'm sure has served them well.  I've always appreciated the craftsmanship of Toyota's. 

KILR0Y

Thanks Kilroy.   It must have been photoshop!  :)

Back OT.   The first gen Tundra Hawk combo can definitely work well, as shown by Sunman, myself  and others.   All trucks need E rated tires, IMHO.  In addition, the lighter trucks with the heavier popups do well with either airbags or Timbrens.  Brakes are not as strong as my F150 work truck with disc brakes all around, but I drive with care and have never had a time I couldn't stop when I needed to.   The V8 engine supplies ample power for passing with camper aboard.  

Certainly, 3/4 ton trucks will carry the camper with less effort, but it's a bigger package to drive and finding parking in town can be a pain.  If you like Toyota, then Tundra or V6 Tacoma can do the job with a few mods to suspension.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users