14 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

Attention  "bean"  counters.

Does anyone know the depreciation percentage of  these campers over time?  It has to be better than a standard RV.....

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

I would think so, but I didn't buy mine for an investment. It is good that they keep their value. 

#3 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

Neither did I Ron. This morning I was working in Quickbooks and decreasing the value in some of my "rolling stock" and wondered if there was anything published on campers. I assume the percentage is 5- ?? % per year  in the first 3 years. Good thing is the prices of the new ones increase 6-10% a year. and the used ones are in high demand.  :)

Jim

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:15 AM

My used Hawk was a great investment 214% return after 4 years of use :D

Edited by billharr, 05 July 2014 - 02:17 AM.

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

That is a great testimonial to a great camper, Bill..

We have a new slogan for Tom and Four Wheel. "Buy a camper and watch it appreciate over time!!"

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 05 July 2014 - 02:55 AM.

Jim

#6 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

I think the people that make money are the ones that got a great deal on a used camper and sold it for more.  Unless of course FWC raises the prices on new campers exponentially :o

#7 The Next Adventures

The Next Adventures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

I bought my 2003 Eagle a year ago. All the original paper work had been saved including the bill of sale. I paid the same amount the original owner did 11 years ago and felt like I got a good deal.
2003 FWC Eagle | 2003 Tundra | www.thenextadventures.com | www.facebook.com/thenextadventures | instagram@thenextadventures

#8 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

After selling our 2003 Hawk earlier this year for a new one, I figured it cost us about $200 dollars a year. Maybe $250 if you include the mods I added. The number of days we camp per year quintupled. We made a lot of friends during that time. And we are constantly asked about the camper, including today at a gas station. There may be better financial investments, there are definitely worse investments, but none have given me as much satisfaction as our camper.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

Thank you all for your input.
Ted, I too get approached all the time. Now I carry brochures in the glove box and hand out about 6-8 per year. Recently I stopped at Camping World and saw 2 in the parking lot. As we were shaking hands and visiting we attracted 3 lookers and wound up doing "show and tell" for 45 minutes!!

The RV sales guys next to us on the RV lot were getting jealous.

Jim

#10 Big Steve

Big Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

I bought my used 2000 Hawk in 2004 for $4400, used the heck out of it, sold it for $1500 a few weeks ago to a young couple who contacted me before I had a chance to list it for sale.  I'm sure that I could have gotten more $$$.  Note that I kept the jacks and thermal liner, which saves me $695 + $475 on the purchase price of the new Hawk I just order.  Netting out those retained items, and igorning inflation, that's a depreciation in basis of $1730, or $173/year, i.e., a few bucks per night used, i.e., a screaming deal.  The new Hawk on order will cost me around 3X more than the first one and my plan is to use it even more than my first Hawk.

Edited by Big Steve, 12 July 2014 - 08:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users