#1 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:17 AM

Just returned from another rough road workout for my '72'. Last trip one bracket holding a front piston came loose - now both of them have come loose. Am thinking this is because of the rough road, and has nothing to do with raising or lowering??

What would be the best way to fix this? Bolts through from the exterior? I hate to do that - only as a last resort

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#2 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

If the wood isn't rotten you can pot the screw in a thick epoxy. I use t88 but that's overkill here. A home depot variety would work fine. If for some reason you need to remove the potted screw, heat the head with a soldering iron. Standard technique: "potting fasteners".

#3 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

Thanks- got some gorilla glue - epoxy today. Will give it a whirl, with some new no nonsense screws instead of the old worn out ones. Hope I don't find out it's all rotted.

#4 Mr. Vertical

Mr. Vertical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Location80461

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

Old carpenters trick, stuff the holes with toothpicks break them off @ the surface along with a good glue in the screw hole & reinstall the screws.

#5 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

I've done that trick before ---

--- this time, I slathered epoxy into the hole & the screws - so far it's holding up great
--- but then again, I haven't gone anywhere yet :)

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

Those guides are just for alignment....whatever works...and keeps the architectural integrity intact ;)

small toggle style plastic retainers may work if the hole is beyond old carpenter tricks.....I would have suggested that one too...being an old carpenter  :D

Edited by Rusty, 25 July 2014 - 09:16 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users