37 replies to this topic

#1 Amyinaz

Amyinaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff AZ

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:14 AM

I'm a newbie to truck camping and this site so first, thanks to everyone for the info, experiences, and inspiration shared here! We just got a used hawk shell and are working out the install for it.

My question -- what, if anything, is under your camper? In other threads I've seen references to plywood, bed mats, and closed cell insulation. Our camper is a good fit so we don't need to raise it. But I'm curious if you're placing something under the camper to improve performance (reduce movement, add cushioning, etc)?

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

I don't put anything between the bottom of my camper and the bed of my truck, and If was was to guess I'd guess that is what most people do -- nothing under the camper.

There might be some advantage to doing so for certain situations, but I haven't.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

I have a bed mat under mine because I had one in the truck when I bought the camper and figured I might as well use it. It keeps the camper from moving which helps on the road but makes centering the camper a 2 person job.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

If you go to the FWC website, click on the top tool bar that says "Shopping Tools" and then click on truck preparation.  I believe this was set-up for customers that are purchasing new campers so that they are prepared when they go to pick-up their camper and have the install done.  My Grandby will be delivered to Wisconsin this Sunday.  We had a plastic bed liner in our bed and FWC required that be removed.  I had Ziebart spray in a bed liner and then I purchased from Dee Zee a bed mat for our 8' bed.  You want to minimize any movement of the camper in the bed.  Best of Luck.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Pressure treated 2x4's under mine but that is because I need to raise it a bit for the sides of the bed.  Have thought about building a 6-8" deep 'basement' to keep skis in but not sure I want the extra cabover height.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#6 Amyinaz

Amyinaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff AZ

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Pressure treated 2x4's under mine but that is because I need to raise it a bit for the sides of the bed.  Have thought about building a 6-8" deep 'basement' to keep skis in but not sure I want the extra cabover height.

We've discussed ski storage (and possibly chairs and fly rods) under the trailer too. Don't know if raising the center of gravity will make much difference on rough roads.  For now, I think we're going with a Yakima box on the roof for skis.

#7 captainphx

captainphx

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, AZ

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

I have a truck under my camper!  :D

Captainphx
FWC 2012 Raven
2013 Ford Raptor Supercrew
RPG Stage 3 with 2.5 inch and 4.0 inch bumpstops
Cave Creek, AZ

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Nothing under mine and I've never noticed the camper move.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

I've got my bed rhino lined and I use a rubber bed mat. The mat is 1/2 or 5/8" thick.  Had it when I had a hardside and didn't see where it would hurt for the FWC.  I've also got 2x4's that run across the bottom since my camper was for a Chevy.  I kinda like that there is a gap so air can get around and under it.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#10 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

I am curious if anyone else has run into this one? I have horse mats under mine to level it with the truck,.. I'll explain. First know I have a Hawk on an 2011 F-250, 6 3/4 bed. When I picked up my camper looking at it in side elevation it was higher in the front than in the back. The camper was square but the truck wasn't. In other words the truck bed was 3/4 inches deeper in the front than the back. The FWC folks all scratched their heads and said it didn't matter but I didn't like the way it looked.

Brenda came up with the solution. I went down the street to a feed and grain store and bought two horse mats, the kind you put on the floor of a horse trailer. One was 3/4" thick and the other 3/8, may have been 1/2? I cut a 12" strip of the 3/4 and a 24" strip of the 3/8 and placed the thicker shim across the back and centered the other. This leveled the camper so it was parallel with the bed rails when viewed from the side. I jacked it up at the feed store, cut the mats and positioned them right there.

Any one else need to do anything similar? I have done two trips Skeena River in BC, Death Valley and fished WA and OR with no problems off road on gravel bars etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users