• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

I need more storage! I have a kestral model. there is lots of space in the wheel well area but only a little door to get to it. Has anybody had luck enlarging that access door? Seems like a simple process to cut it longer but what structural integrity will I loose? Ideas

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

Have been watching this hoping someone would answer it. There is a heck of a lot of space to store stuff if it is stuff that can get wet.

It seems at first glance it should be doable... but ... why wasn't a single long door panel made to begin with? would make tightening the tie downs a lot easier too. Just have to keep watching.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:11 AM

I pack a ton of stuff in there. Tire chains short shovel, tow straps. I pack a ton of stuff in there. 

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:46 AM

I can not find the thread, not sure what site it was on. But someone put a boat hatch like in the picture on each side of his Tundra to access the area under  the camper

RVHatch.jpg

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:01 AM

It's all that wasted space that has my contemplating building a hybrid flatbed/utility bed. We use it now, but access is such that we can't use it to the fullest.

About the only thing that I worry about is: What would we put in that space that we don't already have stashed elsewhere?  Tools is the only thing that comes up that I'd like to move from where it is now.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

Seems for things that you don't want wet like soft goods these could be packed in a dry bag or marine duffle and loaded in there to keep stuff dry. Might be a good way to store bulky things like extra jackets ect.

#7 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

I can not find the thread, not sure what site it was on. But someone put a boat hatch like in the picture on each side of his Tundra to access the area under  the camper

RVHatch.jpg

I might be wrong about this, but I think the person who did that is The Next Adventures. You can almost see it in his profile picture.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

I might be wrong about this, but I think the person who did that is The Next Adventures. You can almost see it in his profile picture.

That is it

Tecolote-Beach-Baja-Mexico-the-next-adve

Now that I have a name I could find the thread here.

Edited by billharr, 24 September 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#9 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I decided to cut away an opening in the dinette wall. This wall seems to have no weight above for vertical sheer strength problems. My only concern is torsional strength, that is why I only did the one side. This should give me lots of space to store longer things that can get wet like folding chairs and tables. Sure seems like 4WC could get behind more access to the wheel wells.

resize port2.jpg

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I decided to cut away an opening in the dinette wall. This wall seems to have no weight above for vertical sheer strength problems. My only concern is torsional strength, that is why I only did the one side. This should give me lots of space to store longer things that can get wet like folding chairs and tables. Sure seems like 4WC could get behind more access to the wheel wells.

attachicon.gifresize port2.jpg

I thought several years ago about doing what you did.

I also have a dinette in my Bobcat,but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I manage to get thinks stored in the outside areas through the stock openings.

Since I have a Bobcat and it's on a Tundra I have a larger space on the "outside"and can get stuff in there.

Guess if I had bigger openings i would just take bigger stuff.

Looks good though.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users