• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

One of the options I would have purchased on a new Eagle would have been side and rear awnings.  I have had them on my truck shell and find that I like having them for shade and sun protection.  I was fortunate enough to buy a set of Hannibal Awnings a few years ago.  Made in South Africa, they are unique in that they do not require the use of legs for support.  Two very stout Aluminum beams swing out to support the cover and I have had them up in some pretty windy conditions with no issues.

However, the lack of legs does require the mount to be very stout.  Since I plan on leaving the jack stands off when we travel, I utilized the jack brackets as the mounting points.  The uprights and the horizontal frame are 2 inch square aluminum tube with 1/4# thick walls.

Image 5.jpg

When rolled up, it sits pretty close to the side of the camper so it shouldn't be too much of a wind drag.

Image 4.jpg

And when deployed, it provides a lot of great shade.  A bonus is that, as the sun moves throughout the day, you can easily adjust the vehicle with the awning deployed.

Image 3.jpg

I will be installing a smaller one over the rear door and will update this post with pictures when its done.

Cheers

Edited by kmacafee, 07 November 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#2 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

Rear awning is installed.  Pretty much the same idea as the side one except, given the brackets used to hold the top down, I had to make it easily removable.  Phenolic knobs from McMaster Carr will do the trick.

Cheers

2014-11-11 11.04.17.jpg

2014-11-11 11.04.25.jpg

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,304 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

How does your rear awing deploy?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:47 PM

Frank

There are two aluminum arms that swing out,  The end of the awning has an aluminum pole inserted in a sleeve which have toggles on the ends which slip into the ends of the arms.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:10 AM

Frank

There are two aluminum arms that swing out,  The end of the awning has an aluminum pole inserted in a sleeve which have toggles on the ends which slip into the ends of the arms.

Sounds like a nice simple system.

The one I made uses the retractable cargo cover from an Ford Escape  I used to have.

It has special brackets I made to attach it to the camper at the top edge of the lower portion of the camper.

Than has two PVC arms that swing out and the ends of the cover go into the ends of the arms.

Takes about 6 seconds to set up and does a nice job of keeping the rain off the door area.

I have looked at the FWC rear awning and think what a pain to set up and store.

Keeping thinks simple that's my way.

Thanks for sharing.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 kitmann

kitmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:44 AM

Frank,

I'm new to the forum and the world of FWC.  Recently purchased a mid-90's Hawk that I've been remodeling and renovating.  Will be installing struts soon, thanks for your many posts and photos on that subject.  And have been wondering how I'm going to get an awning on the back with the struts.  Sounds like you may have developed a solution to that.  

Could you post a photo or two of your custom rear awning?

Thanks

Kit

Blue Lake, CA

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

Frank,

I'm new to the forum and the world of FWC.  Recently purchased a mid-90's Hawk that I've been remodeling and renovating.  Will be installing struts soon, thanks for your many posts and photos on that subject.  And have been wondering how I'm going to get an awning on the back with the struts.  Sounds like you may have developed a solution to that.  

Could you post a photo or two of your custom rear awning?

Thanks

Kit

Blue Lake, CA

Kit welcome to the site.

As soon as the weather clears up today I'll get some photos posted.

Frank

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:03 AM

Kit,here are several shots of the rear awning I use.

It's made from a rear cargo cover from a Ford Escape.

Any cover should work.Actually one from a bigger SUV would give a wider cover.

I made the mounting brackets from some aluminum frame material. They are bolted through the upper frame work of the lower part of the camper. There isn't any connection to the pop pup roof.

The side arms attach into the brackets and I used some threaded PVC 90* fittings that swivel so the supporting arms fold and store up against the cover.

The lifting struts are just behind the whole setup.

If you would like more info just PM me.

Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0310.jpg
  • IMG_0311.jpg
  • IMG_0312.jpg
  • IMG_0313.jpg
  • IMG_0314.jpg

#9 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

very slick.

#10 TravelAmateurs

TravelAmateurs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWandering The Americas

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

Rear awning is installed.  Pretty much the same idea as the side one except, given the brackets used to hold the top down, I had to make it easily removable.  Phenolic knobs from McMaster Carr will do the trick.

Cheers

attachicon.gif2014-11-11 11.04.17.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-11-11 11.04.25.jpg

Just received our ARB Awning and this is exactly the type of mounting info I was looking for.  Nice work!

www.TravelAmateurs.com

2005 FWC Hawk

2006 Toyota Tundra DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users