• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#21 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

Hey Dan T ...whenever you need info on the north Maine woods let me know. It is a VERY rough travel area... crazy rough roads, flooded out areas massive logging trucks doing 60 mph with loads twice what's legal on a real road. It is your responsibility to get out of the way as they DO NOT even slow down... that means going off the road!! Gotta have the right radio (CB's are fair but not safe) ... to know whats coming round the bend and to announce where you are. Again I can't express how 'rough' the roads are.... no gas no buildings for a 100 miles... did I mention the bugs? The mosquito is the State bird of Maine. then there are black flies and the real menace... the no-seeum. It can fly through regular screen... and it does by the thousands  if allowed. The bite is mean. So I know it all sounds negative but having been going there for 40 years it is a place that requires a lot of prep and if you have been to Labrador or Alaska during the bug season then you know. Once one knows the ins and outs ... it allows you to know when to not be where, and you can enjoy the wild. All that said I like the Blue Ridge Parkway for a rally... cushy camping and beauty all around. Maybe someday the Adirondacks in NY. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2418.jpg

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#22 jmodge

jmodge

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGreenville, MI

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:10 PM

Hi 

My name is Jim, and I reside below the ring finger nuckle in Michigan"s lower peninsular. I page this site occasionally for some ideas here and there.

Many thanks by the way to all who generously donate their time, experience, and knowledge to help those that come looking. It is much appreciated.

Maine sounds beautiful to me, by the way. If it is similar to our U.P. as far as bugs, I would guess August, September, and October are good times to be there.

I own a FWC mounted on a 1990 K5 Blazer. It is a walk through, like a mini motor home. Very mini, but my girlfriend Donna, My dog Kink with the crooked tail, and myself enjoy it very much. Often taking weekend jaunts as well as vacations with it. It is also my hunting rig. I can't think of anything I would trade it for either.

I hope everyone out there enjoys theirs as much as I do mine,

#23 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:17 AM

Hi 

My name is Jim, and I reside below the ring finger nuckle in Michigan"s lower peninsular. I page this site occasionally for some ideas here and there.

Many thanks by the way to all who generously donate their time, experience, and knowledge to help those that come looking. It is much appreciated.

Maine sounds beautiful to me, by the way. If it is similar to our U.P. as far as bugs, I would guess August, September, and October are good times to be there.

I own a FWC mounted on a 1990 K5 Blazer. It is a walk through, like a mini motor home. Very mini, but my girlfriend Donna, My dog Kink with the crooked tail, and myself enjoy it very much. Often taking weekend jaunts as well as vacations with it. It is also my hunting rig. I can't think of anything I would trade it for either.

I hope everyone out there enjoys theirs as much as I do mine,

I like those Blazer/FWC combos. I'd love to see some pics. Maybe in the "Post a pic of your FWC" thread, so as not to hijack this one.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#24 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:55 AM

dido that... love photos. Been to the upper... love that too. Someone who knows the woods. Great trout fishing and quiet. Like to know more of the places your way as we will be going to Ont. in August via MI.and MN. Being in  a FWC is like being in a Ritz after sleeping under the canoe.  

Henry David Thoreau

#25 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:46 AM

Well, I'm putting together a list of possible places to meet. Let's give the people signing in a chance to throw in their input about where they're from and possible Rally places. I too have always wanted to adventure towards the New England states and I think the Shenandoah Valley is beautiful country too. The Blue Ridge parkway and any national forests in the Appalachain mountains that can provide substantial parking for a fairly large group needs to be taken into consideration, besides power and water availability. Working it!
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#26 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

Bob here in Harpers Ferry, WV.  We have a 2012 Eagle on a 2010 DCLB Tacoma.  We've made a couple cross country runs already.  Hoping to relocate to the Reno area later this year.

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

#27 TravelAmateurs

TravelAmateurs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWandering The Americas

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

Hi all.  Josh and Jenna here from Arlington, VA.  We have a 05 Hawk on an 06 Tundra.  This site has been invaluable to us as we prepare for our trip.  In June we plan to wander west across The U.S. and then head down to the southern tip of Argentina.  We have "borrowed" a ton of ideas so a huge thank you to everyone who has shared their mods, experience, etc. on this forum. 

+1 on the Blue Ridge Parkway / Shenandoah for a rally.

*we're also thankful to have wanderers like 'The Next Adventures' paving the way south for us.

www.TravelAmateurs.com

2005 FWC Hawk

2006 Toyota Tundra DC

#28 jmodge

jmodge

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGreenville, MI

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:38 PM

Buckland,

Are you in the midst of the storm?

#29 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Cheeez!!!! Buckland way to sugar coat the rigors of the North Woods. You make it sound like Russian roulette is a safer option. Just joking, when I go I'll definitely seek your advise, thanks for the offer. I am familiar with the state bird, once I camped in Maine with my wife and daughter and when we were setting up the tent they descended on us and my daughter ran into the truck. Then my wife left the other door open and I heard my daughter start to scream and from 30 feet away I could see the "birds" filling the inside of the truck feasting on my little one. It was like a cheap horror movie, I had to leave the tent and set them up in a B & B and go back to retrieve the tent after I got them settled down. On my way back I told the ranger about the story and he made the same state bird joke. There must be a good time to go with less bugs and without subfreezing weather, maybe April or October?

On the subject of the rally, the Adirondack's are beautiful and so is the finger lake region of NY. Watkins Glen State Park is a real jewel. I think the Blueridge Parkway / Skyline Drive area would be a good idea because it's the midway point on the east coast and its a special area. One things for sure we should make this happen. I'll try to come up with specific locations and post them and see what people think. Anybody interested please do the same. Once we nail down the where then will work on the when.

#30 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

Indeed I was in a storm but luckily the big city folks in Boston got more then us...uncommon. Just in off the tractor, a couple hours to clear our dirt road. Not a bad storm for us though we have had many that were around 3 ft. Adds up over the winter... no kidding... my dog once walked up the the second story window and looked in. It is cold and windy...below zero this week. We heat with wood .. the stove is great in weather with no electricity. We cook on it and have a gas light so we are always fine. 

On the subject of Maine North Woods... sorry to make it sound so rough but it is not for most folk. There are definitely not good times ... April... well ice out hasn't happened yet unless it is a real mild winter... Black flies are  wicked bad in May unless you are a fly fishing nut (like me) . September is the big Moose hunt and as there are only one or two sites per lake it is nearly impossible to get to a quiet place that is not taken.... then Bear season... So best time is June and July. There are always bugs ... just drink the coffee through the head net! The North Maine Woods is a private area. Gates and a fee for using the log roads by the day. Wish there were more Parks on the coast as it is fantastic. If you ever get to Nova Scotia camp on the bluffs at Meat Cove...wow.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2feetsnow.jpg

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users