• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

As some of you may know I am rebuilding a 1981 Grandby. It came with the RV standard propane/12v heat absorption refrigerator. It seems the current trend is to change over to a 12v compressor refrig, $650-$850. Of course this involves increased battery capacity, $120-$200 and a means to recharge the batteries, usually solar, $$600-$1000 or between $1,200 to $2,000 total depending of extent of the conversion.

(I will have a minimum of a 100w portable solar package either way I go.)  The refrig. in the camper was replaced at some time and is in good working condition, so I don't need to replace it. Also I will need to keep the propane system to fuel the stove, so there is no savings there.

Since I am trying to get the biggest bang for my buck, do I want to spend my money here or elsewhere?

What are the advantages of either regardless of cost?

As always the varied input from this forum is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Boonie, 19 January 2017 - 11:46 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

The compressor refrigerators cool down quickly, and don't have the level requirements that absorption refers do.    The pro on absorption is the low current drain when on propane.

If it were me, I would stay with absorption until it fails, then make a decision at that point.   

My preference in compressor refrigerators is the chest style.   I believe they are more efficient than the front opening models.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:04 PM

Another thing about the compressor fidge, I run mine all the time and keep it supplied with staples (Cayusette would say that means I always have cold beer) but I keep soda and ice cream in it for her as well and various cheeses and meets that need to stay refrigerated but have long shelf lifes.  It's nice to be able to leave work at night  and take a left instead of a right and go spend the night someplace from time to time without having to think about what is in the camper or fridge.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#4 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:33 PM

Wandering Sagebrush really sums up this decision well.

I love my compressor fridge. It's amazing and a seriously better fridge that the absorption.

But compressor fridge -> more power -> more batteries -> more solar -> etc...

I wouldn't do it if the fridge works well. Although in full disclosure, I've made the switch personally before. 

Did I mention that you may need to take off the door frame to get the fridge in or out?

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#5 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

I'll ad my voice to the chorus:  I would stay with the absorption refrigerator and see if it works for you; assuming that it is in working condition.  If you don't like it or it is not working well then you can replace it with a compressor frig.  Absorption refrigerators work for some people and not for others.  Compressor refrigerators are $$$.

As a data point; I have less than $1000 in 200W solar/ 208 AH battery system.  It runs my compressor frig and other stuff well.  I am seldom below 80% battery capacity in the AM.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

Stay with the current fridge, at least till it fails someday. If you camp mostly in hot weather 90+ degrees, then the comp fridge is the way to go as the propane fridge only gets about a 40-45 degree differential than the ambient temp. I like the fact that my propane fridge can run for a couple weeks on a single tank, sun or no sun or if I want a shaded camp area.. 

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

Old video from FWC but a good review of the refrigerator types offered..

http://www.bing.com/...E7A62&FORM=VIRE

We went with compressor so as not to worry about temp differential, leveling requirements and propane use....and we have a total of 240w solar.  We also shut off propane when on the road.

Of course the choices depend on a multitude of variables...cost, maintenance, which will you need to conserve or replenish-electrical or propane, where you are using it and the why-when do you need a refrigerator...not to even mention what size is needed.

Phil

#8 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

I'm sitting in a 32' motorhome with an absorption fridge and top freezer as I write this. Big capacity and works like a champ. I really like my ARB 50 liter compressor fridge that I use in my off-road truck. Another vote for using what you have until it no longer works for you and then having a plan in mind for replacing it.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Sage sums it up.

I have a 3 way and find it very useful but not on 12v that's why I also have a Truvkfridge chest cooler.

Works great and has very low draw and low voltage safety limits.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 Lobster

Lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara .

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:38 PM

I really have no voice as a newbie, my grandby shell will be delivered next week. I will start with a ARB portable fridge for the options it avails, chests don't lose the cool as front opening doors do, but if I had a working fridge and didn't 'need' to replace it I'd wait until it broke as there may be an option in the near future that doesn't exist now. Stuff is changing fast, who knows what you might be able to get next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users