Awning question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 keith

keith

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

I'm trying to come up with a way to mount the awning legs to the jack tubes. Thinking they will be in "harms way" on the trail so they should be easily removeable. I think mounting the foot brackets to the camper sides will not work out as well as the jacks (less stable) Quick fists come to mind. Anyone else been thinking about this. Let's hear any ideas. It's not always possible to drive the stakes FWC provides.
2008 F250 CC SB 6.4L 4x4 / 2009 Hawk FWC

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

IMHO leaving your jacks on while in the back country multiplies the likely hood of being in harms way. You wouldn't be the firs person to tear out a corner of the camper because of a jack hitting some obstruction. I mounted my awning legs on the jack brackets. It's quite simple and only requires a bolt through the awning leg.

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy (2) of Picacho 001.jpg
  • Copy of Picacho 001.jpg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

Jay, where did you get those aluminum poles? I'm thinking about finally making an awning like you got there.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#4 keith

keith

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

IMHO leaving your jacks on while in the back country multiplies the likely hood of being in harms way. You wouldn't be the firs person to tear out a corner of the camper because of a jack hitting some obstruction. I mounted my awning legs on the jack brackets. It's quite simple and only requires a bolt through the awning leg.

I know you don't like leaving the jacks on, and I totaly understand. I do plan on removing them on trips where rocks and other nasties are anticipated. I have been known to travel to a basecamp area with the jeep in tow, set up for a week or so and explore with the jeep. Anza and Kofa are 2 places that come to mind. Also places like the lost coast, where there is just a short logging road to travel. It's times like these I'm thinking about.

Have you ever had a rouge wind come along with you're awning deployed like in the pic? To my eye it looks like it could fold over the top quite easily.

I have the Fiamma so my legs are a bit different and there is a foot base available.
2008 F250 CC SB 6.4L 4x4 / 2009 Hawk FWC

#5 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Jay, where did you get those aluminum poles? I'm thinking about finally making an awning like you got there.

http://www.rei.com/p...57-000423bb4e79

brett

not sure if these will work but I had the link bookmarked

mtn

#6 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

I have the same poles that Mtn left the link for. They vary in price depending on where you get them. The base ends have PVC gray conduit epoxied and pop rivited to them becaus I wanted the canopy to go out further than what I thought the poles would extend safely. The PVC is also easier to drill. Below is a picture of the pvc I used.

Attached Thumbnails

• conduit.jpg

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

Have you ever had a rouge wind come along with you're awning deployed like in the pic? To my eye it looks like it could fold over the top quite easily.

It will fold up in strong wind but my experience is that no awning works all that well in the wind. I've had free standers that I anchor with long heavy tent pegs and 5 gallon water jugs tied to them and they collapse too. At least with this when it blows the canopy doesn't take off to parts unknown. I think wind probably the enemy of awnings. So I drop it at night and when it gets gusty. And if you will notice it can be used with the legs on the ground with pegs and line.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

Thanks guys.

Now for the inevitable follow up questions:

What fabric, Jay? Doesn't look like regular plastic tarp in the pic.
I assume PVC for the cross bars? The PVC can be had from Home Despot or such?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

OK Brett you're going to love this. The fabric; 2 curtain panels from my bedroom patio door. My wife hated them and was going to toss'm I figured what the hell they're green and free. The single front cross piece is steel conduit for its rigidity. I flattend and drilled the ends to except the pointy ends of the poles. KISS

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:39 PM

Nice. What size is your awning? I'm thinking 6' wide x 6 or 8?

I'm going to adapt your idea so I can mount it on the side or back of the camper. Maybe by using bunges to hold the "back" against the camper liner with the clamps on the side as anchors. I need to play around with it once I get everything together. What did you use to attach it to the clamps? Or is it mounted on the camper?
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users