• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationStateline Nevada

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:00 AM

I removed panel on rear of 1996 Ranger II FWC , then removed plastic cover that surrounds fan unit and replaced fan switch. I am having trouble locating Limit switch?

By following a spec sheet for this Atwood unit there should be 2 wires that flow from sail switch , 1 to Limit switch, one off to another stop. 1 should be blue the other either blue or white. I follow one wire that seems to go into camper, the other that goes to what seems like a 5 prong nickel sized unit attached in viewable area next to fan unit. not comparable to my dime sized 2 prong unit that I purchased as my limit switch.

My question is do I have to remove furnace to get to limit switch? Or maybe did I recieve the wrong limit switch from RV store, and am actually staring at limit switch?

#2 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

The limit switch is stuck to the heater box portion of the furnace. If you look straight into the furnace from the door it is the small sensor with two screws in the very back.

You can also find it by following the wire from the sail switch to the limit switch - they are connected if I recall....

I don't see a way to get to mine without taking out the blower assembly.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#3 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

I don't see a way to get to mine without taking out the blower assembly.
[/quote]

Thats what I was afraid of ! Thanks, I did see a blue wire heading from sail switch torwards the rear, I just didn't want to start pulling things out.

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,340 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

Not quite the problem you're facing, but maybe the photos I posted here when I took my furnace apart may help.
http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/3197/
best of luck.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

Those photos were very helpful, thanks. I will dive in this weekend.
On a sadder note, suddenly my fan is not working again. That could be my fault though. I was about to put ear next to exhaust port to see if I could here the clicking of furnace trying to light. I put my hand up to the exhaust vent and suddenly the fan died, although covering exhaust with hand I in no way sealed it. Like I said, could be a coincidence.

#6 Wyowanderer

Wyowanderer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCentral Wyoming

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

https://www.rvparts....rviceManual.pdf

This may help.
What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

#7 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

So now that I have removed plate attached to limit switch, I am having a tough time finding square tool to remove the 2 screws. No luck at Sears, home depot, or Ace hardware!

#8 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:22 AM

I assume the screws you see are square drive? Round heads with a 4 sided square hole? One of the easiset ways to get these bits are at an auto store or as part of a inexpensive bit kit, often they include a screwdriver type handle or small ratchet handle. They are available separately but I see the torx bits more common sold separately. They are around.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#9 n0izh

n0izh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationConcho, Arizona

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

So now that I have removed plate attached to limit switch, I am having a tough time finding square tool to remove the 2 screws. No luck at Sears, home depot, or Ace hardware!

Go to Home Depot...Electrical section...ask for a 10-in-1 (might be called 11-in-1)screwdriver. You'll find a square bit at one end. I keep one in the camper. Has a bit for almost anything.

John
2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel 1998 Granby Engle Front Load Fridge Wave6 Heater Solar

#10 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:25 AM

The square-holed screw is called a 'robertson'. All of the screws on my Sunlite are this flavor. Note they come in two sizes - mine are a #2.

http://www.craftsman...=2&blockType=L2

-Vic

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users