7 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

The lift assist gas struts "lighten" the roof enough that in high winds it is almost impossible to get the roof down. A couple of days ago I was in an epic struggle with the roof - I would lower it, it would pop back up, over and over again. Finally I got it down and bolted out to get the roof clamps on when it gets worse - I got one roof clamp latched when the roof popped up again. This is just as bad as rifting the roof with a clamp latched - there was some damage (although everything still functioned).

So I guess my advice would is: be aware of this issue. In high winds its probably best to remove the gas struts while lowering the roof.

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

Was it feasible to turn the truck around so it was nosed into the wind to limit the effect of air wanting to blow into the door?

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

I wonder if closing the door and turning the fan on to exhaust would help.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'm trying to visualize this. :lol: I had a similar experience with the added joy of rain. I finally closed the door and let the inside air ooze out the tie down ports. Such things are memories made of. Rest assured that some day you will be laughing about this tale.

Mike

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

I wonder if closing the door and turning the fan on to exhaust would help.

My suggestion, too.
I've had to do this even without the lift-assist struts when the wind is blowing directly from the rear.

Or, tie the dog on the roof to provide added downward force.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

One way I have solved this problem is to attach a "bunggie" from the push plate on the front to some where in the lower area of the camper. It keeps the front down so you can get out and clip the front latches. Or have the wife or significant other stand out in the wind or rain to clip the latches. Either way works.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

I'm finding that if you lower the back first and engage the barrel latch it will hold the roof closed so you can lower the front and the camper doesn't seem to know the difference.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

I had that problem once, closed the door and turned both the fantastic fans on exhaust and slowly lowered the top.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users