16 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

I haven't even posted a trip report yet for my last trip...and I'm already thinking about another trip plan. Posted Image

Bend_Organ-Pipe.jpg

RicoV's mention of his visit to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument reminded me again of how much I enjoyed that area on my last visit (two visits in the '90s)...and offline discussion of it with him got me excited and maybe kinda committing myself to going there this year.

In March, I think.

That map isn't necessarily the route I'd take -- not for both directions, at least, but it is the route I took when I drove there in the early '90s...and it's a likely route again.

If I'm going that far (~1250 miles one-way), I'll definitely be hitting other spots, too -- either on the way down or way back...maybe revisiting other desert places I've enjoyed on previous far-south trips...KOFA NWR, Mojave Nat Preserve, J-Tree, etc. Possibly venture a little further east to the Chiricahuas, which I've never visited... Too early -- and not necessary -- to have a specific itinerary yet.

I'd probably make this a pretty long trip -- maybe 3 weeks or so. Most of the cost is fuel for getting there (other than paying a cat-sitter at home), so time spent there and on small wandering around off-route/off-axis gets me more bang for the getting-down-there buck.

I just hope ga$ price$ stay down for a few more months!

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Consider taking 6 east from Tonopah to 375 at Warm Springs, then 375 to 93 and then down to Vegas. It is much more interesting than Beatty and Indian Springs.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Consider taking 6 east from Tonopah to 375 at Warm Springs, then 375 to 93 and then down to Vegas. It is much more interesting than Beatty and Indian Springs.

Yeah, that's a good idea. Years ago on a trip to eastern NV I swung south on 93 and then back up that way. I stopped in Rachel and had an "extraterrestrial burger" at the Little A'Le'Inn...as I recall it tasted a lot like beef.

I'd really like to avoid Vegas completely (that awful cancer that's sucking all the water from rural Nevada), and I probably will take a different route (avoiding it) if/when I visit the Mojave area of SoCal as part of this trip.

#4 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Mark,

I agree about avoiding Vegas and I will drive miles out of my way to avoid it.

If you're going that far south and you enjoy the Sonoran Desert, consider visiting El Pinacate/El Gran Desierto just over the border:

"The Pinacate Reserve, which includes Mexico's largest desert and dunes, has recently been named a national reserve. Yet this trove of desert ecosystems, stark vistas, and volcanic spires is unknown to most Mexican and American hikers. In February and March, this desolation turns into a madness of blues and lavenders and reds and yellows. In a good year, the desert wildflower bloom of Pinacate is unbeatable."-- http://www.puerto-pe...m/pinacate.html

Photos of Pinacates: http://www.facebook....k=photos_stream

And then March 29th, as we pass through Mexicali on our way south to visit the grey whales of Baja join us: http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/6900/

Anne and I just got back from Baja Sur and the diesel and gas was only about $2.70/gallon. The food was as amazing as usual and so inexpensive due to the new exchange that I felt guilty to the point that I insisted on tipping everyone exorbitantly.

You could camp here with us:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8038.jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

Gene, thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider that. :)
In my trip of 20 years ago I remember seeing rigs pulling boats passing through Organ Pipe, on the way to Puerto Penasco via Lukeville...but I cautiously stayed on my side of the border. Posted Image
I've always thought that Sonoran Desert + ocean, i.e., Baja, could be a great combo...maybe I need to find out this year.

#6 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

MarkBC and generubin: you are my kind of people, probably most folks on here would agree with you. We avoid LV at all costs when we are in the area. We have had to skirt N LV, that vast wasteland of cookie cutter/strip mall/desert architecture sameness nonsense.

We are heading down to Death Valley in March so want to avoid Reno, too but want to stop near the NE part of Lake Tahoe for some boulder/lake photos. I am not really sure how to get there without driving through Reno. I also dislike driving through the bottleneck mess that is I5 through Seattle but in March we really have no alternatives other than I90, hwy 2. 20 is our preferred way but it is closed until late May.

I am looking at ways to roam around 395 and Dv then will figure out how to get there in our meandering way.

Happy trails.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#7 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

Mark,
If you join us, I'm sure you'll find yourself completely comfortable south of the border. I've been traveling Baja since 1985 and there are others with past Baja experience on the trip. I have female friends who travel Baja regularly. The only danger I can think of is driving the narrow Mexico 1, which is one reason why we take alternative routes.

I just took this picture day before yesterday about 600 miles down:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1028-1.jpeg
  • IMG_8262.jpeg
  • IMG_8264-1.jpeg

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#8 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

MarkBC and generubin: you are my kind of people, probably most folks on here would agree with you. We avoid LV at all costs when we are in the area. We have had to skirt N LV, that vast wasteland of cookie cutter/strip mall/desert architecture sameness nonsense.

We are heading down to Death Valley in March so want to avoid Reno, too but want to stop near the NE part of Lake Tahoe for some boulder/lake photos. I am not really sure how to get there without driving through Reno. I also dislike driving through the bottleneck mess that is I5 through Seattle but in March we really have no alternatives other than I90, hwy 2. 20 is our preferred way but it is closed until late May.

I am looking at ways to roam around 395 and Dv then will figure out how to get there in our meandering way.

Happy trails.

After Vegas, Reno is my other nemesis. I go around the east side of Reno when headed to Hart Mt.

www.generubinaudio.com

#9 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

That is what we did on our return trip home from Southern Utah. We came up 95 then 50 through Femley then a very roundabout way via 447 along Pyramid :Lake to CA299. We avoided Reno. They can have the glitter and gambling; I like the desert natural.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Mark,
If you join us, I'm sure you'll find yourself completely comfortable south of the border. I've been traveling Baja since 1985 and there are others with past Baja experience on the trip. I have female friends who travel Baja regularly. The only danger I can think of is driving the narrow Mexico 1, which is one reason why we take alternative routes.

I just took this picture day before yesterday about 600 miles down:

I know that beach in the middle pic! It's waypoint exists two of my GPS', named "Heaven." Ever notice the whale's tail to the south on the cliff face?

I've been to Baja twice and had an immensely good time on both trips. Unfortunately coming home from the second trip I also had an experience that opened my eyes to the reality of their laws. Had I not reacted as I did there would have been no good option, legal or otherwise. Cured me of crossing for the time being.

I despise LV, but I'm willing to drive thru it. Just no desire to stay there or stop there for more than fuel or the Bass Pro Shops.
Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users