#231 JBahr

JBahr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

If you have the offset brackets it will work without trimming.

The offset brackets are used in the picture I attached, and they still don't give enough clearance from the rain gutter, it has to be trimmed.

Jason Bahr  "Former" Design Engineer Four Wheel Campers, Inc.

#232 rhuntzinger

rhuntzinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

The offset brackets are used in the picture I attached, and they still don't give enough clearance from the rain gutter, it has to be trimmed.

Has anyone had problems installing the "Columbia" struts. I am having a hard time getting the vertical distance on my 2012 Fleet and still allowing the strut to compress fully. I don't know if my roof is higher than some of the older models but it seems that the recommended "Columbia" struts will not work for the required distance vs. compressed length without some sort of longer mounting bracket. Any suggestions. Suspa brand? longer brackets? Thanks for the input.

#233 specjoe

specjoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEscalante, UT

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Has anyone had problems installing the "Columbia" struts. I am having a hard time getting the vertical distance on my 2012 Fleet and still allowing the strut to compress fully. I don't know if my roof is higher than some of the older models but it seems that the recommended "Columbia" struts will not work for the required distance vs. compressed length without some sort of longer mounting bracket. Any suggestions. Suspa brand? longer brackets? Thanks for the input.

Had the same issues with my side mounting with the Columbia struts and you can see how I ended up in my post #207. Popup fabric is more loose in up position, which leads to more flapping in the wind. No extention of the struts with almost weekly use since October. Guess I'm stuck where I'm at.
-joe D.
2008 Tacoma Access Cab TRD, 3" Pro Comp lift (coilover and add-a-leaf), 255/85R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts, CBI Swing-down tire carrier, IBS intelligent solenoid w/Odyssey 1500 aux batt under hood, ARB Fridge in extended cab, FWC Finch Shell

#234 Northern Explorer

Northern Explorer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationU.P. of Michigan

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

I have also learned the hard way that the generic struts found on eBay will not work. Here are the measurements to compare.

Generic = 36 inches expanded and 20.5 inches compressed. This makes the compressed length 56.9% of the expanded length.

Suspa brand = 35.34 inches expanded and 19.29 inches compressed. This makes the compressed length 54.5% of the expanded length.

It doesn't sound like much but it makes all the difference. The Suspa brand is also a little more beefy.

#235 sdmarkus

sdmarkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

Has the Supra brand been discontinued? Having a hard time finding a good source online. Anyone have a link for me? :blink:

Many thanks,

Mark

#236 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

Ebay. When I just did a search on Ebay using "Suspa" it came up with 690 results (14 pages). I just wish they had a better way (a more consistent way) to describe the items, like the length and force... 36 inches x 40 lbs, would be excellent. Each seller seems to do it differently and even some sellers change the way they describe each gas strut.

#237 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

Has the Supra brand been discontinued? Having a hard time finding a good source online. Anyone have a link for me?

Here's a link to one source:
Suspa C16-15952 on ebay
I didn't shop around, so these may not be the cheapest source...but I ordered two pairs of these today.
(unfortunately, I also ordered two pairs of brackets...when it's four pair of brackets that's needed. Posted Image)
-------------------------------------

OK, here's an issue/question that I didn't see asked/mentioned (though I only read the last 10 pages of this thread):
I see most pictures showing the two brackets that are closer together (could be on top or on the bottom) are usually mounted as close together as possible -- even when there's room to spread them wider, such as in this photo:

Posted Image

Maybe it's fine to do it this way....but is there an advantage to putting the close-together ends as close as possible -- if spacing isn't limited by the roof latches?

At the rear of my 2005 Hawk there's ~72 inches space between the latches and in the front there's 54 inches. The struts, compressed, are <20 inches long, so combined they're ~40 inches. Any reason I shouldn't make use of that space and spread them out? Probably isn't a big deal either way...but my rationale is this: If two people were going to lift the roof with their own muscles, would they stand right next to each other (or with their hands right next to each other) OR would each guy stand and lift near a corner -- i.e., spread out?
Anyway, that's the way I'm gonna do it if I don't hear/think of a reason not to.

Another mounting-position question that probably doesn't really matter, but I'm asking:
Any reason to choose between: 1) putting the close-together ends of the struts on the roof (making an A-shape)? or 2) putting the close-together ends on the camper body (making a V-shape)? I've seen it both ways, and didn't notice a comment on it, so probably doesn't matter. Posted Image
I have enough room on mine to do it either way.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#238 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

Has the Supra brand been discontinued? Having a hard time finding a good source online. Anyone have a link for me? :blink:

Many thanks,

Mark

I have an extra set, thought I was going to use them on my camper but have decided to try a different setup. PM if you are interested in them.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#239 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

You only read ten pages of the thread? Shame on you. Come back for advice after you've read the entire thing :P

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#240 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

I debated for a while about which roof-project comes first: Solar Panel or Lifting-Assist Struts?
If I put the panel on first without the struts I may not be able to get the top up, which is important for installing the struts...and if I put the struts on first I may not be able to get the top down, which is important for installing the panel. Posted Image
I decided to go with the struts first, because I figured I could add some temporary weight, to get the top down, if necessary.

Turns out, it really was necessary, and even with temporary test-weight equal to the to-be-installed panel (~25lb) I have to pull the roof down from the inside. I only have struts installed on the front, so far. Suspa C16-15952 ("40-lb").

You can see my temporary weight hanging down like ear rings from the side roof-clip-hooks, which is pretty close to where the panel will be -- front-rear-wise. (glad my climbing gear could get some use! Posted Image)

_DSC4971.jpg _DSC4974.jpg
I filled the cans with an eye-balled-amount of water that I guesstimated -- based on the density of water and the size of the cans -- would equal the weight of the solar panel...and was shocked to discover that the the total (weighed on a scale) was actually within 1 lb of the target weight. Posted Image

_DSC4975_6_7_tonemapped.jpg

I positioned the bottom anchor of the struts at the lowest point that would geometrically work, based on the extended and retracted lengths and based on the struts being fully extended with the roof raised.
Why there, why lower? Well, it may not matter much, but I picked that low point because it puts the struts in a bit more of a pushing-up angle when down (increases the vertical component-of-force), so should give a little more oomph to get the lifting started. Turns out I could have positioned the bottom anchor even a little lower -- there's about 1" of compression not used -- but I wanted to leave a little margin of error in case my measure-five-times-drill-and-attach-once approach was still a little off. Posted Image

Seems like craig333 posted somewhere that his struts got a little softer, easier to move, after a while, but I can't find that post now. Anyone else find that their similar struts were stiffer at first and got "better"?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users