#1 davidshourd

davidshourd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:13 AM

got the solar panels installed today. I ended up getting (2) 5 watt panels that will provide a consistent trickle charge. routed the cable in the passenger side back corner. Used a similar path method (taped to the back of the folding board thing that holds up the roof). went to partly cloudy as soon as I hooked it all up but so far it all appears to be working. so now I can charge while driving with the truck (battery isolator) and the solar panels will be trickle chargeing anytime the battery is not charge via the solar management system. it will keep from overcharging. The only thing I still need to add is maybe a chunk of PVC ripped in half to cover the 6-12" of wire exposed on the roof. I find my self in deep brush/low trees a bit and would hate to pull anything off. mounted the panels hard to the roof. I was going to go for a tilt feature, but I am not looking at powering anything of of it, just keep the battery up to its potential. (I tend to listen to alot of tunes and use the big flood light out back a lot while camping).

Attached Thumbnails

• solar one.JPG
  • solar two.JPG

#2 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:36 AM

Why two 5 watts and not just one 10 watt :confused: Just wondering.
1999 Grandby FWC

#3 DesertDon

DesertDon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:43 AM

You may wish to consider a pull plug (something that does not lock) on the roof. The idea is create a "weak link" that will come apart if snagged and not tear up the roof or panel. I have done that with my panel with (whew) satifactory results.

Don

#4 davidshourd

davidshourd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:13 AM

Why two 5 wats and not one 10 watt: because that is all I coudl find localy.

good call on the "weak link", I wil consider that this weekend when I get back to it.

#5 Garymc

Garymc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, CO

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:48 AM

Why two 5 wats and not one 10 watt: because that is all I coudl find localy.

good call on the "weak link", I wil consider that this weekend when I get back to it.

Is it necessary to have a controller between the panel and the battery if the panel is 5 watts or less?
"I don't believe in doing work that I don't want to do in order to live a life I don't want to live."

-Ed Abbey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users