6 replies to this topic

#1 roamingaz

roamingaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:39 AM

I'm new to this forum, I am on expedition portal alot and was sent here to get some ideas for my four wheel camper project.
I was recently on a 5 day trip and my batteries would not hold a charge or charge at all, not sure what is the issue yet. I have a 80 watt solar panel connected to a trace charge controller and 2 optima yellow to batteries, this was all done by the previous owner. I have installed a older Norcold TEK 2 fridge and new lights and now I can't go a full day without the batteries dead.I am in the planning stage of redoing the inside of the camper and I will be useing a ARB chest type fridge rather then the standard fridge. I need to know about hooking up the solar panel inline with a shore power charger and I wil also being running a wire from the engine to charge while driving, this wil give me 3 modes of charging capability.
I know how to do all the wiring etc but what I am unsure of is how do I isolate the charge controller, 110 charger, and onbord charger?
I attempted something simular on my last project; I wired in a charge controller and dual battery system on my truck but the first time I started the truck it fried the solar controller?!
Jesse
1991 ford f150 extended cab adventure truck with 1983 four wheel camper

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:18 AM

I'm not yet running solar but do have a hard wired shore charger and DC-DC charger from the truck. Each is connected to the battery posts. Most chargers, including your solar charger, should be used to seeing power on the downstream connections. Did you accidentally wire your truck into the input side of your solar controller?

As for the batteries are they old batteries that aren't taking a charge anymore or are you having issues with getting a charge to them. Without input on what is happening from your solar output and battery condition its hard to know which direction to take your problem.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

how much power does that fridge draw during a typical day?

edit:

i looked up the specs and the unit is fused at 8 amps. it probably draws 4 to 5 when the compressor runs.
it should use about 18 amp hours per day. assuming 10 minutes run time each hour.
if you have 6 hours of sun your solar cell will cover it with a good surplus.

old batteries.....that must be the issue.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

Roamingaz,

Welcome. Most of us also go to EP's website as well. Since my batteries charge from my vehicle alternator and not solar panels this may be a waste of typing, but thought I'd throw it out just in case. I had about a month where my batteries were not charging either. I replaced fuses, tested the batteries, etc and couldn't figure it out. Finally found out the plug inside the truck bed wall had worked loose. So when I would plug in the camper turning the plug just spun the receiving end rather then locking in the plug.

Good luck.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

are there any in-line fuses you can check ?

are you getting a charge from the solar panel (is there power) at the tip of the wire before it connects to the charge controller ?

have you had the batteries tested ?

with my experience the optima gel cell batteries usually last many many years, or they crap out very quickly.

for how expensive they are, I personally wold not buy an optima battery.

there are other ways to get more power, for less $$, and get a battery that can last longer, and with more reserve power.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

so stan, what batteries are you currently shipping?

i have gone through a few optimas (boat+ham radio) myself and agree with your statement.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#7 roamingaz

roamingaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

I agree about the Optimas craping out, on my previous truck project I bought 2 yellow top batteries and they lasted just over a year the ones I currently have were already in the camper when I bought it, they are not very old either. While I was on my trip I completely tore apart the entire solar/battery system, in full sun my solar panel was putting out 19 volts the charge controller is a older digital trace brand and I believe it to be the problem as it was inconsistant with the voltage output. Yes there are 2 50 amp inline fuses; 1 from the solar panel and one from the fuse panel, I plan to buy 2 die hard platinum AGM batteries or Trojan solar AGM batteries and completely rewire the entire camper useing low watt LED lights and a ARB or Engel fridge that is more energy efficiant.
Jesse
1991 ford f150 extended cab adventure truck with 1983 four wheel camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users