• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

In our 2002 Hawk we have the surepower 1314 to charge the house battery from the truck while we are driving.

We are adding solar.

With the solar charging the battery AND the truck charging the battery, how does that work? Will one override the other?Do the surepower and the solar work together?

I got the Morningstar MPPT charge controller if that makes a difference..

Thanks. This is a bit confusing.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 (LBZ) Duramax Diesel& 2002 Hawk, 2 dogs and a lust for adventure ;-) 

#2 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

The truck will charge the battery while it is running.

The solar controller will also charge & maintain the battery. It will shut itself off when the battery reaches the proper voltage, so it won't be charging while the truck is running as it will sense that the battery voltage is ok.

I have my truck connected in this manner and it works quite well.
I did add a switch in line with the solar controller output which allows me to manually switch the solar charging between the camper battery and the truck's batteries.

My advice disclaimer-Depends on how it's all wired.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#3 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

I did add a switch in line with the solar controller output which allows me to manually switch the solar charging between the camper battery and the truck's batteries.

Desert Rancher...could you please provide some details of your switch between the camper and truck batteries? Where did you get the switch? How did you wire it in?

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

Desert Rancher...could you please provide some details of your switch between the camper and truck batteries? Where did you get the switch? How did you wire it in?

I just received my controller, an Mppt 250 from BZ products, and it has a auxiliary trickle charger for the truck batteries built in. http://www.bzproducts.net/id2.html Now I have to do the install of the panel on the roof and the wiring.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 n0izh

n0izh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationConcho, Arizona

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

In our 2002 Hawk we have the surepower 1314 to charge the house battery from the truck while we are driving.

We are adding solar.

With the solar charging the battery AND the truck charging the battery, how does that work? Will one override the other?Do the surepower and the solar work together?

I got the Morningstar MPPT charge controller if that makes a difference..

Thanks. This is a bit confusing.

Hello,

Your surepower 1314 is just a voltage sensor. It will connect or disconnect the truck battery from camper house bank based on the difference between the batteries. You didn't mention if your camper setup is straight forward or you're doing something more fancy ie switchable house banks, or a separate load connection. The surepower allows for many configurations. Assuming you just have the truck battery connected to the surepower and the camper house bank (or the DC panel of the camper) connected to the other side of the surpower you can hook the morningstar direct to the camper house bank( or again the dc panel of the camper). Your morning star will have 3 sets of connectors, solar input, battery, and load. Take the battery set direct to either the main input of the dc panel, or direct to the camper battery bank. Let each device do it's own thing. Worst case would be the solar keeps the camper battery charged enough that the surepower keeps things connected and you also charge the truck. If you don't want this to occur, after you shut down the truck leave the headlights on a few minutes. This will cause the truck battery voltage to go down and the surepower will disconnect. I have the same thing happen with my truck because my camper house bank is so much larger than the truck batteries. I run a different connect device, but it works the same way. Mine will disconnect with the headlights on after about 3 minutes.
Feel free to PM if you have other questions
John
2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel 1998 Granby Engle Front Load Fridge Wave6 Heater Solar

#6 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

John

I PM'd you.

Thanks for the responses. I think I sorta get this now....

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 (LBZ) Duramax Diesel& 2002 Hawk, 2 dogs and a lust for adventure ;-) 

#7 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

I have a 50 watt Siemans panel that is connected to a Morningstar SS-6 controller (cheap 6 Amp). The output of the solar controller is wired into a single pole, double throw (SPDT) toggle switch from radio shack (or equivalent place).

The switch outputs are wired to:
1. The truck battery
2. The camper battery

This allows the switch to charge:
1. The truck battery -or-
2. The camper battery

I mounted the controller on the back wall of the cabinet under the stove. The switch is mounted on the outer cabinet panel and is oriented so that the forward position connects the truck battery and the rear position connects to the camper battery.
All connections at the positive side of the battery are fused (mandatory!).

Let me know if more info is needed.

Jeff
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#8 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:33 PM

The output of the solar controller is wired into a single pole, double throw (SPDT) toggle switch from radio shack (or equivalent place).

Thanks for the info. Could you provide a link to the switch that you are using?

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#9 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for the info. Could you provide a link to the switch that you are using?

Anything similar to this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062495

You can find one at lowes, depot, ace, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users