• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

Truck campers are tall, even with a popup. Brushing overhanging branches is par for the course when negotiating forest roads. The roof latches on the camper stick out and tend to catch small branches I don't even notice--please, no comments about my driving! I have had to bend a latch tab back in place several times and fear that one day the latch or the roof will be damaged. Has anyone developed a way to protect the latches? A smooth cover makes sense but I don't find anything for sell. This can't be a problem unique to me. 

gallery_4486_837_9428.jpg

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

I've done my fair share of bushwhacking over the years and have plenty of scratches and dents in my camper to prove it but I have never had that happen once. I've even had my surf rack pads (and rear door :o) impaled by branches but that's another story.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

I'm surprised I haven't had that happen. Dents and scratches are all part of getting out there. You could stay on pavement and avoid that but who wants to do that? I modified my solar wiring to avoid such a thing happening. Curious to see what you come up with.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:57 AM

Man, when I used to run a log skidder in Montana I wouldn't get that size branch caught up on the machine!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#5 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:46 AM

How about duct tape?

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, seems like this could happen, but AFAIK, it hasn't happened yet to me.  That is, the roof latch on my camper hasn't been pried open or bent by passing branches.

It's true that I haven't spent a lot of time on narrow heavily-forested roads though...plenty of primitive roads but mostly in high desert areas.

...I've even had...impaled by branches but that's another story.

Yep, me, too:rolleyes:

So, my story (at the link) shows that I have rubbed against trees (or vice versa), but so far they haven't affected the roof latches.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

Sounds like I may be alone with this problem. Figures. Same as when I asked Hallmark what to do about covering up the ugly gap between the bumper and camper where the tailgate used to be, and I was told no one in all their decades of business had ever asked that question.  :unsure:

Frankly, the latches look like a dumb design especially considering where they are mounted. Some campers have the latches front and back which would minimize the problem, although an 8-foot model may need them on the sides. I'll just have to be extra careful. 

Thanks for the responses and the stories of other tree-meets-camper incidents. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#8 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:04 AM

I look at the latches on mine and can see that happening all the time (I'm in the PNW too).  It may be more of case of a solution looking for the problem as it doesn't seem to come up as problem on any of the various forums (or at least not mentioned enough to notice).  Personally I think it would be nice to have some kind of cover or  ??? to protect them.  I know I will be doing some foliage trimming and would like to minimize the trail fixes.

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#9 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:24 AM

There may be a lower profile latch than could be used to replace the current latches.  The factory latches have a lot of throw for the 180 degrees they are flipped and are fairly easy to put on and off.

#10 Kenny&Sharron

Kenny&Sharron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:02 AM

more than 2 years later, you've likely got it figured...

how about pieces of aluminum, pop riveted on to the outer latch, sloping in to very close to the side of the camper ?

then you can really get into plowing Alders

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users