Buyers regret?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#31 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:56 AM

My camper is older, but was fully loaded at the time, furnace, fridge, front window, etc. I must be the only one that doesn't want a screen door. Takes at least an inch of interior room and I would have to cut the couch to fit. Too fragile for my taste as well. I have added some things, but no regrets with the factory lay out.

cwd

CWDT

#32 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

No screen door for me either, as it'd be just another thing to constrict ingress/egress in my situation.  That said, I have given thought to someday replacing the camper door's fixed window with a single-hung screened version which might add a bit of air flow through the rear side of the camper.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#33 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

No screen door for me either, as it'd be just another thing to constrict ingress/egress in my situation.  That said, I have given thought to someday replacing the camper door's fixed window with a single-hung screened version which might add a bit of air flow through the rear side of the camper.

Screen door doesn't impede ingress/egress because it attaches to the rear door so that they open and close as one unit. My only complaint about the screen door is that it is cumbersome to open/close because it lacks a handle, which is why I bought this:

http://www.campingwo...te-handle/73230

#34 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

I didn't think the screen door was an option on my 2015 Eagle. That said, I made a small screen for the sliding from window and with the screen door provides decent bug-free ventilation at 'knee' level.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#35 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

I didn't think the screen door was an option on my 2015 Eagle. That said, I made a small screen for the sliding from window and with the screen door provides decent bug-free ventilation at 'knee' level.

Assuming you meant "sliding front window", I'd be interested to understand how you did it. That is something I keep meaning to do, but my camper is rarely off of my truck so it seems to never get done. I've found the front window to be pretty worthless, however I always thought it it to be an excellent source of vent when in a frog strangler, except that is when critters are about. Anyway, if you have a good technique that doesn't involve duct tape, I'm all ears.

#36 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

Only regret right now (since I haven't received the camper yet is the cash $$  :D) Started with a new shell and went to a fully load base model (furnace,fridge, hot water, shower) . Had the "if I add this, then I might as well add this " syndrome. Had shell previously so I know what I wanted.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#37 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

Assuming you meant "sliding front window", I'd be interested to understand how you did it. That is something I keep meaning to do, but my camper is rarely off of my truck so it seems to never get done. I've found the front window to be pretty worthless, however I always thought it it to be an excellent source of vent when in a frog strangler, except that is when critters are about. Anyway, if you have a good technique that doesn't involve duct tape, I'm all ears.

Well. I did use a bit of Gorilla tape to hold the screen in place. I made a 13x17" one from a kit that just fit but I used some tape around the edges rather than removing it when I am driving. The kit came with expansion springs but I didn't try and see if I could make them work for this application.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#38 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

Only regret right now (since I haven't received the camper yet is the cash $$ :D) Started with a new shell and went to a fully load base model (furnace,fridge, hot water, shower) . Had the "if I add this, then I might as well add this " syndrome. Had shell previously so I know what I wanted.

I've got a well equipped Hawk, so I have no regrets. There are a couple features missing that I wish it had.

We usually use our camper to explore during the day and then return to camp in the evening. I wish it had the rear L.E.D. floodlight. I've been using the porch light for a bit of illumination when backing into our campsite and it sort of works, but it's really dim. We usually camp in provincial parks and they tend to put a big boulder in each site so you don't hit the picnic table. So far, so good, but I'll be adding a flood light when I have time.

The other thing I would have liked is the side awning. Again, because we drive the camper daily, having a quick setup awning would be nice for those rainy days.

For those of you purchasing a camper and reading this thread for advise, few of us have mentioned that we regret "getting" the options. If you are on the fence I say go for it. I may never use the roof racks of rear steps, but I don't regret them being there. I usually hang a garbage bag on one of the rear steps. When it comes time for me to rig up a tarp, Im sure the roof racks will come in handy.

Edited by Bill D, 27 March 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#39 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:06 PM

My only regret was not ordering the camper a week earlier.  The weekend in between my leadtime discussion with the factory, and my visit to order it, they had a show.  And the twenty campers they sold at the show doubled the leadtime to 12 weeks.  I spent a lot more days in a tent last year than I'd originally planned.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#40 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:32 AM

Hah I also regret not ordering sooner! Shows every weekend! I was told 14 weeks but we'll see.

With my hard side camper I used the sliding front window all the time. When it was raining it was the only viable option for dry fresh air (side windows were sliders). However it was screened.

I also regret not ordering silver spur exterior, but to change it now would be $700 and it provides no functionality so I'm not doing it. I didn't order rear floods but I'm thinking about ordering a remote controlled led setup so I can mount them around the camper and control them with a key fob. Seems more functional to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users