• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bob welsh

bob welsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

Ive finally got started digging into the camper I posted a quedtion about window seals and thought I would contain all this in one post.

Question # 1

My dinette table wont fit in the bench grooves to make up the bunk. Previous ownerhade made up some plywood slats to cover the span. So what gives? There is no hardware on the wall or ceiling to mount it if it wasnt intended to be used as a bunk support.

All I have for interior lighting is 2 dome fixtures. One over the table and one over the stove. When I plug it in to the garage they work. Will they work on 12 volt also? I do have a breaker panel in the unit and have not tried running of a battery if thats even possible.

I was aware of the Perelli weatherstripping sealing the two halfs but I have more weatherstripping that is mounted on the top of the lower box that is capped in wood trim running all the way around on the interior. What is that? it looks like cloth of some kind. Should that be Perelli also?

Thats all right now but Im sure to have more.

Bob

#2 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

1) Prev Owner may have removed the table bracket that attached across the lower window.  The PO of my camper had changed the table also. He did leave the bracket in place and saved the original table.

Here's a picture of the bracket:

alaskan-top-veneer2.jpg

2) If the light has two on/off switches, then it’s probably 110V and 12V.  Open it up and take a peek.

3) The stuff under the wood trim is Perelli seal also.  On mine, the exposed seal was tattered and crispy, so I turned it around and put the previously covered side out and the crispy edge under the trim.

#3 bob welsh

bob welsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:41 AM

thanks thisold,

I have the aluminum bracket that stretches over the window for the table to catch, that works as it should, but the table is to narrow when lowered to the bunk position. Ill take a pic today of that.

i will check for dual switches

I will check on the perrelli

0A4FA43D-FFDD-4E93-81AE-ED55FFC7DD5E-125

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:59 AM

if your lights work on 120v.....they WILL NOT be wired into a 12v circuit....period

that would be llike pluging 120v into a 12v battery...what do you think will happen?...your battery will boil very quickly and go boom

original equipment had one 12v and one 120v (110v back then) over the sink  120v on either side of the table off the end of the upper cabinets and a 12v flourescent over the driver side seat, under the cabinets.....you may have to track down the original wiring but it should be in the panel over the door

Original table brackets were two hook affairs which the table clipped into on the forward bulkhead...then they went to overhead storeage for the CO model

The pirelli goes imside and out...old pirelli will lose its rubber coating after a long time...replace both...under the molding and outside under the upper

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:16 AM

Rusty, many of the old Alaskans (such as my '64) ran 110 and 12 volt off the same fixture. The bulbs have to be switched out from regular to 12 volt, however.

Bob, most old Alaskans did not use the table as a platform to sleep on. The table was stored on the ceiling with brass brackets. Any chance your interior ceiling was redone at some point and they didn't re-install the brackets?
2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#6 bob welsh

bob welsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:49 AM

thanks guys, I am still looking at the lighting,scratching my head alot.

Table. No hardware or screw holes suggesting removed hardware  on front wall or ceiling.  I would say that the ceiling is original. I would have thought the table would be used as support for a bunk.

Today I replaced all the butyl caulk under the back and front large trim pieces, the roof vent sealant.

The corner gaps in my vinyl weatherstripping were filled with gutter seal.

I dusted the first coat of paint on

#7 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

12 Volt 110 Volt light

alaskan12v110v.jpg

#8 bob welsh

bob welsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:33 PM

thanks for the info gentlemen. I am progressing on the old gal . I looked at the fixtures and only a single bulb in each and one switch per fixture

DF020262-74A6-4720-B46C-1C99DBBC991B-364

Im waiting on the perelli,seller on  ebay has a good price on the stuff.

AD4A2DF1-1F79-472C-8C4C-3365B31AC506-364

the household plug works the two wire is for the clearance lights??? Just pulled the painters tape off I see some touch ups to fix

#9 bob welsh

bob welsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:39 PM

50C922C0-5291-46CE-B946-B2FBB092BA5C-364

Here is the breaker box and that little toggle switch is the only switch in the camper . Im thinking it is for the porch light but it does not work because the fixture is in bad shape,

#10 bob welsh

bob welsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

BE1987B8-E566-4A1D-AD90-7E647C0EA30A-364

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users