#1 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:27 PM

Hello! Just returned from an 8,575 mile trip to Canada & Alaska with my '72 CO. Camper performed fantastic most of the time - never had any problem raising the top - but nearing the end of the trip I started having problems lowering. Now back home I am still having problems with all four pistons syncing & stalling 3/4 of the way down. I have to raise & lower several times before it finally lowers all the way. It has popped out of the front channel a few times - I have had to take the channel off & reinsert it. Have also bled the hydraulic lines by pumping with the valve open. Can I bleed the system in the raised position? Could this be an O ring problem?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:41 PM

JR, give Rick at the factory a call if you don't get an answer from other Alaskan folks.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:31 AM

I would like to know what you find out as mine does this also

#4 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

Called AC today & talked to Bryan - he was as always, very helpful. He suggested that I install flow control valves (Parker PF400B from zoro.com), they would help all four Pistons to sync together. I ordered 4 of them today. Hopefully this solves the problem. He also assured me this is not an O ring problem, but that the front is heavier than the back (or visa versa - I get things mixed up) therefore the flow control valves have been used for over 25 years!

#5 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

Why would they not install flow control valves to begin with? I have heard several complaints about raising and lowering the top and it coming off the tracks which is a cause of concern for me and may hinder my purchase of the Alaskan. It is the main issue I have read about.....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#6 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

The problem with flow control valves is they only help in one direction. I am going to try two sets of flow control valves with manual bypass valves that have to be aligned for up and down, ones extra step, but I should be able to tune it perfect for up and down. I should have my hydraulics done soon, I will post pics

#7 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:16 PM

Looking forward to seeing them :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#8 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:20 PM

I'm wondering how the roof could be crooked enough to come off the tracks without bending the pistons? No saying it can't, juts don't visualize it

#9 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:05 AM

Why would they not install flow control valves to begin with? I have heard several complaints about raising and lowering the top and it coming off the tracks which is a cause of concern for me and may hinder my purchase of the Alaskan. It is the main issue I have read about.....

According to Bryan, the flow controls have been used for 25 years. This unit is 43 years old. I used it extensively on my trip - and probably unwise on my part, had a 60 lb canoe & a 25 lb bicycle strapped to the boat rack. I'd say all in all the Alaskan has a good track record.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by jrfromafar, 21 August 2015 - 02:18 AM.

#10 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

Should have also mentioned that Bryan suggested without the flow valves to tie a rope to the top of the back & pull down compensating for the weight in the front when lowering - I did that today & the top came down - easy peesy

- it also gave me pause to reflect on 43 years of marriage - yup - I was married in '72 - same year my camper was built - and how we've both had to improvise through the years to make things work (not yet ever having to resort to a rope - yet:). And no one can deny a marriage has to be tough to last over four decades.... Just like an Alaskan Camper. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one! (Camper that is - not a new wife:)

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by jrfromafar, 21 August 2015 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users