• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:15 PM

Starting this thread for everyone to post their experiences at the Rally.  I will do a full trip report later. I did put all my pictures up on a youtube slideshow that can be seen here. Note 13 minutes long, almost 200 pictures.  

The date I picked was TWTLFF.*  We arrived at 3:00pm on Friday, drove in with just a light rain falling, just before the heavens let loose. Annual rainfall is 9 inches, we got 3 of them Friday night. Saturday dawned to "well its not raining now" weather. Quick breakfast and off to the start of the GeoTour.

IMG_1154.jpg Tuff Guy 62 did a fantastic job on the tour, will have more in my trip report

IMG_1155.jpg

At the lunch break my wife decided to pick up a just a little too big of a rock. She pulled her back, time for Motrin and ice. Finished the GeoTour at the visitor's center and made a couple of purchases. Be sure to stop, shop and support them. Driving back to camp the wife's back was not getting better. Wife asked if we could head home, she did not think the FWC bed would make her back better.  I thanked Brian and Randy for all the work they did putting the Rally together. Left some appetizers for the pot luck and headed down the road. Hope the dinner was held without rain. Driving up I-5 hit rain heavy enough to slow up California drivers, a couple of cars actually pulled off the highway. We will be back, have the GeoTour handbook and need to finish the area's we could not access in the rain.

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_6575.jpg

* TWTLFF = Two Weeks To Late For Flowers.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:29 PM

Bill,thanks for starting a post.Shame about all the rain.When we were there about the same time in 2011 the flowers were out and put on a great show,BUT it snowed a little and cold.Didn't make for a nice day.Met up with Gene Rubin and friends for a short chat than headed out of the bad weather. Sorry to hear about the heavy rain and the wife's back problems. Been there with health issues on a trip,not fun.

Looking forward to the trip report.

Thanks for arranging the rally.Maybe next time we can make one.

As it turned out we were also on the San Andres fault but 400 miles north,Pt. Reyes area.Nice weather warm and lots of flowers.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:43 PM

Bill, thanks for posting. YouTube pictures were great. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:05 PM

Bill,thanks for starting a post.Shame about all the rain.When we were there about the same time in 2011 the flowers were out and put on a great show,BUT it snowed a little and cold.Didn't make for a nice day.Met up with Gene Rubin and friends for a short chat than headed out of the bad weather. Sorry to hear about the heavy rain and the wife's back problems. Been there with health issues on a trip,not fun.

Looking forward to the trip report.

Thanks for arranging the rally.Maybe next time we can make one.

As it turned out we were also on the San Andres fault but 400 miles north,Pt. Reyes area.Nice weather warm and lots of flowers.

Frank

Hey Frank,  after you left back in 2011, this is what happened:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7222.jpeg
  • IMG_7231_2.jpeg
  • SANY0074.jpeg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:14 AM

Hey Frank,  after you left back in 2011, this is what happened:

Thanks Gene for the pictures.Don't remember seeing them before.

Glad we got out of Dodge,pretty but not much fun.

Thanks Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:29 AM

I'm convinced if I could camp more often the drought would be over. DV, GBNP, WFF, and now Carizzo rain seems to follow me. It did hold off for the tour and dinner. These are the guys responsible for setting a bad example for Bills wife. 

DSC_09981_zpsg0fjjitv.jpg

Just a quick report. As we split up some stayed another day, a couple headed over to Jalama and I headed north, either to find another spot to camp or head on home. I promised to be careful. I wasn't. I briefly did get stuck in the mud trying to get to the Wallace interpretive area. I guess that road closed sign was there for a reason. Headed on home as it looked like more rain was coming. Plenty of idiots on I5 just as Bill described.

Trip was great despite the rain. The tour, though cut short due to impassible roads was still excellent. Tuff Guy went way above and beyond. The potluck was excellent but I should have stopped before that last piece of cheesecake. Just a couple pics as I get my gear unloaded.

Despite the lack of flowers there was plenty of greenery

DSC_10101_zpsikzrk2pk.jpg

This guy barely gave me time get a shot off.

DSC_10081_zpsudqdgyxj.jpg

I'd have never found this one my own. Near the dragons back, and our lunch stop.

DSC_09871_zpsz4j0opod.jpg

Start of the tour.

DSC_09601_zpsg5ipo5t3.jpg

Sag pond with the fault running through it ( had to remember that stuff for the test later).

DSC_09611_zps73dnd2cj.jpg

Our camp during a respite in the rain.

DSC_09441_zpsvmpnna3p.jpg

More to come tomorrow

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:50 AM

Nice report Craig.

I just posted my full report here. 

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:37 AM

Sorry you had to leave early. I'd have loved to stay another day if the weather had cooperated. As it is it'll be good to have time to dry everything off.

#9 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

Despite the  rain looks like "Reilly" had some fun any way ( My "Bob" was envious!)!  Sure looks like some wide open country out there, looking forward to more trip reports! Hey Bob, did Domino feel up to making the trip? 

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

Oh yeah, every stop, and there were many, Riley got to run around. Not sure where all the wildlife was though. Just a few birds to chase.

Soda Lake in unusual form.

DSC_10011_zpslwh5h5h9.jpg

This guy is wondering what kind of invasion is going on.

DSC_10001_zpsyuufskqa.jpg

Riley paying close attention to the lecture.

DSC_09521_zps3l2rd7je.jpg

Lunch break, dragons back to the left, fault below us.

DSC_09911_zpstav7bzjk.jpg

Fault running behind the dragons back.

DSC_09881_zpsasbzn0ol.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users