Carrizo Plain, WTW Spring Time Rally

Funny how I never noticed those signs. I did see the tumbleweeds all nicely corralled up. Don't want those blowing around loose!

camelracer said:
This was a great informative rally in spite of the weather. I want to thank Brian, Randy, Bill and all the cooks who made it possible.

Dick
That dutch oven peach cobbler and ice cream was really good !

The rain on the Carrizo last weekend seemed to be rather excessive to me. So I thought I'd look up the observed precipitation data. Found
Observed precipitation map - Central California coast.
California Nevada river Forecast Center at
http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/archivePrecipMap.php?area=cc&month=04&day=10&year=16
Looked at a few days of data for 24 hours ending at 5am PDT each date
For the Carrizo precipitation
Friday 4/8 0.03"
Saturday 4/9 0.62"
Sunday 4/10 1.06"
Mondy 4/12 0.22"
Tuesday 4/12 0.0"
That's 1.93" of rain in the time I was there.
It appears as Carrizo got more rain in that period then any other monitor stations west to the coast, south to Santa Barbara and North to Monterey bay.
We experienced an unusual phenomena for the Carrizo. It added interest to the event and depth to the photos.
I'm just wondering what might happen in the next week if the sun shines and it warms up a little. Perhaps a second Bloom on the plain?

I enjoyed the rain and the WTW camp out on the Carrizo. Hope to do it again next spring.

I think a second bloom is very possible. However I won't make it back. My welcome back present at work is at least two weeks of sixty hours. My bank account will appreciate it though.

Tuff Guy 62 said:
Thanks for posting for me Mr. Sage. It was truly a labor of love, glad to share with everyone! ;)
Brian, thanks for making the Geotour of the Carrizo Plain National Monumnet available in PDF format. It's taken me a while to find the time to locate it, but I really appreciate having it. Great job producing this paper. I really enjoyed traveling the plain with you to ground prove the trip log.

RandyP

Back
Top Bottom