- - - - -

keeping it centered

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:21 PM

I noticed that my Grandby had come off center from its position on the truck bed. The front of the camper was OK, but the rear had moved to one side of the bed, so I took it to my ever lovin' tool guy.

The first thing he noticed was the position of the turnbuckles. All the turnbuckles are mounted in a vertical position. Vertical turnbuckles are great for keeping things from moving up & down, but they do little to keep things from moving side to side or front to back. Lateral motion is inevitable with such a set up. I know FWCs are designed to flex but I don't want my Grandby flexing all over the truck bed. I'd bet that most broken turnbuckles are a result of lateral stress.

First, we put on the jacks and raised the camper just a bit, and centered it as perfectly as we could with careful measurement and a rubber hammer.

Before my ever lovin' tool guy reinstalled the turnbuckles, he installed on each of them a JAM NUT. A jam nut is a nut which is screwed onto one the the turnbuckle eye bolts, and after you tighten the turnbuckle to the tension you want, then you tighten the jam nut down so it "jams" against the turnbuckle (only finger tight), which prevents the whole turnbuckle from loosening. My ever lovin' tool guy tells me that with the jam nuts, I shouldn't have to check the turnbuckles so often. In fact, he expressed some puzzlement why jams nuts are not standard procedure for camper installs. In theory they should not fail, so If a turnbuckle ever comes loose, it will be some more serious failure than simple loose turnbuckle.

Picture of turnbuckle with jam nut below:

gallery_5699_920_30036.jpg

I asked my ever lovin' tool guy about the possibility of fabricating some spacers to install on the sides of the truck box, to address the lateral motion issue. He seemed to think that we could install spacers without removing the camper from the truck. I'm glad I have my ever lovin' tool guy. He is smart. After a few more measurements and a 24" piece of 2"X10" wood I got from the scrap pile in my local hardware store, this is what he came up with:

All spacers measure 2" X 8 9/16" X 8 9/16". Galvanized outdoor screws are used as feet on the bottoms of the spacers to allow about 3/4" of space underneath for water drainage. Spacers all sealed with about a half can of Rustoleum flat black. All spacers are installed through the turnbuckle access doors in the camper. The spacers are not screwed or attached in any way neither to the camper nor to the truck. They just pop into place and stay nicely where they are put. I love my ever lovin' tool guy.

The front spacers are laid down flat on the truck bed through the turnbuckle access door. The front spacers each have four screws on the bottom for feet. Below is a picture of the spacer inside the driver side front turnbuckle access door:

gallery_5699_920_17145.jpg

For the rear spacers there was not enough room to lay them flat, so my ever lovin' tool guy put the spacers up on edge. There just happened to be a groove at that point in the wall of the box, so my ever lovin' tool guy put a tongue on that side of the spacer so it fits right in. Only two screws for feet. I don't expect them to move - they are in quite solid despite no fasteners. Below is a picture of the spacer installed inside the passenger side rear turnbuckle access door. Note the one corner of the spacer has been rounded to match curvature of the inside of the truck bed:

gallery_5699_920_78427.jpg

Everybody's situation will be different, but this works for me. Jam nuts prevent the turnbuckles from loosening, spacers prevent lateral motion of the camper which prevents lateral stress to the turnbuckles. It's the circle of life! Now I can go back to doing doughnuts in the Flying J truck stop parking lot just before they ask me to leave...

Everybody should have a tool guy.

Edited by 2020, 16 April 2016 - 11:24 PM.

#2 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:24 PM

Ah...whoever installed that camper screwed up.  FWC has guidelines for installing the turnbuckles at angles to prevent what you described and it sure as hell is not a vertical mount.

Watch the video on an installation at the FWC website and give them a call.  Not going to even ask who installed the camper and turnbuckles.

As always of course, I could be wrong! :D

Phil

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:24 PM

It appears that you have it covered. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,025 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:39 PM

Lots of us have added the jam nuts. I added spacers (chuck of 2x4) between the camper and the wheel wells. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:09 PM

I bolted my camper down to my truck bed but I think I will use the 2x4 idea to help align the camper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users