10 replies to this topic

#1 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:14 PM

Hi all,

I am about to pull the trigger on a used Hallmark Guanella but have a few questions:)

It is a 2005 but has a new (2012) roof and vinyl, new water heater, propane, cushions and water pump. It does however have the original rack and pinion manual lift system. I have gone over it fairly well and it seems to be in fine condition.

I want solar so the roof lift system needs to be able to handle and extra 50-55 lbs for 2 panels and hardware. I lifted and lowered it a couple times but the cabinets were empty so adding another 20 lbs for stuff in those would add about 70 lbs on what I would be lifting and I want to make sure that lift system will handle it.

I wonder if the panels could be glued on the roof instead of drilling holes to mount them. (Hard panels not flex) If I have to drill there are 2 raised sections running lengthwise on the outer sides of the roof. Would that be for adding racks and okay to drill into? I doubt that any wiring for solar is in there because in 2012 it was not nearly as popular as it is now.

This Hallmark has a converter but no inverter and no charging system beside the alternator. Where would be the best place to tie in the solar panels and would you run the wires through the fantastic fan installation?

There is no electrical wiring diagram so I will have to trace everything out unless someone here has some knowledge on it.

I have tried to contact Hallmark via their facebook page and although my questions were seen they were never answered. It was over the weekend so maybe they forgot me.... I will try by phone tomorrow as they are closed today but I have heard they can be tough to contact and I know that many of you will have had experience with this.

Don't have a truck to put it on and looking at the 2017 Ford F250 so I have some time to work on it and make it my own.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I am excited and nervous at the same time......

Thanks!

May the sun shine on you as we are getting rained on again this week :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#2 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

Congrats, hope it works out for you.  Yes, communication can be a bit of a problem, the product does tend to offset that for most of us though.  The raised sections on the roof would be where Yakima tracks would be mounted if equipped so I would think there is extra material there to screw into.  Not sure if you could (should) glue down hard panels, others I'm sure will be more knowledgeable.  The wiring for mine (soft panels) does enter through one of the vent openings (center one), then is contained within channels in the roof structure itself.  On mine the wiring then goes over to the drivers side overhead storage cabinet where the solar controller is.

If it has 120v outlets for use with shorepower, there may be a charger integrated with the power center.  On mine, it's located under the dinette seat.

Good luck, keep us up to date on the journey :)

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#3 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

Don't have anything to add to Bad's summary - mine is set up the same way.  There may even be a conduit run through the roof from the vent to the side - I believe they are all pre-wire for A/C (newer ones anyway) so some channel probably exists.  

I believe they have 3 lift set-ups 1) manual w/ a crank, 2) super-manual w/ a drill and massive gear reduction, and 3) electric.  Sounds like you have the first option which as I recall limits the weight you can raise the roof with, but don't think solar panels would give you any trouble.  

Good luck - if you buy it and hate it (very unlikely) you would have no trouble reselling it.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

Jackie, AM Solar has a tutorial on mounting hard panels using VHB tape with a Dicor sealant over the top of the mount. There is a fellow on the Airforums (Lewster by name) who is a professional installer, and that method is his preferred way of doing things. He says never a failure.

Edit: this method is for fiberglass and metal, not rubber.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Wandering Sagebrush :) It is a 2012 composite roof so that will not be an issue. I would install racks but I dont think I would mount anything else so gluing the mounting hardware down would allow me to change out a bad panel without putting holes in the roof. It is an option but some kind of rack may be a better choice. That's why I pick your brains.....um good with some Chianti .......:)

#6 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

We had a 2003 Guanella with the basic roof lifting system.  We carried two 40 pound kayaks on the roof on a trip from California to Newfoundland/Labrador and were worried about damaging the roof lifting mechanism, so on our way through the Denver area we stopped at Hallmark.  Here is what we learned:  the crank handle has a "safety pin" (shear pin) that will break if the roof load is too heavy.  They told me to push up gently on the roof to help lift it while cranking.  They also gave me a spare crank handle in case the original broke.  we were very pleased with that solution and everything worked very well.  Never needed the spare crank, but it was comforting to know it was available.  I suspect yours has the same "shear pin" set up. 

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#7 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for that info on the crank! I think the owner may have 2 but one might have been for the jack stands..... Wed is projected to be finalize day :)

#8 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:45 AM

If you do go with the 2017 F250, looks like it should handle it pretty good, probably have a bit of capacity to spare too.  I always believe more truck is better than almost enough.

http://www.truckcamp...-truck-campers/

#9 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

I have chosen to forego the camper. It was really nice but not exactly what I wanted and as I won't have a truck for probably 5 months and then no vacation it would have gotten no real use until next year. The stars just did not align. Thanks though for all the responses! I'll be learning more in this journey to get my truck camper setup :)

#10 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

Discretion is the better part of valor.  The stars will align, although sometimes you have to knock them into place with a sledge hammer.  Good luck on the continued search/planning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users