• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

So, I had my propane tank topped off last week as mentioned in the other thread. I notices the smell of gas fumes in my garage a few days later. Thought it must be a paint can or something. Well, it got worse so I called my utility company since my gas line comes into the house through the garage (I had forgetten about the propane). Turns out the propane tank is leaking through the valve. The gas is coming out where its supposed to, only the valve is tightly closed. Its a small, slow leak and the utility person said just keep it outside or hooked up to the regulator to keep it from leaking.

I wonder if it was overfilled? Or can the valve be bad or just not seating properly? I'm going to buy a brass plug for the end, which should do it, but does anyone have any other thoughts on this issue?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#2 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:00 PM

your local propane dealer should be able to check it out and see if it is repairable or not

if the propane tank it not too old, it might still be under warranty

maybe call ATC and see if they have any details or contact info for the tank manf.

we get our tanks from Manchester Tanks

from time to time we get new tanks that have a leaky valve

they usually destroy the tank at the local propane dealer and send a new one to us

that is one item on the camper you don't want leaking

:eek::eek:

================================================

So, I had my propane tank topped off last week as mentioned in the other thread. I notices the smell of gas fumes in my garage a few days later. Thought it must be a paint can or something. Well, it got worse so I called my utility company since my gas line comes into the house through the garage (I had forgetten about the propane). Turns out the propane tank is leaking through the valve. The gas is coming out where its supposed to, only the valve is tightly closed. Its a small, slow leak and the utility person said just keep it outside or hooked up to the regulator to keep it from leaking.

I wonder if it was overfilled? Or can the valve be bad or just not seating properly? I'm going to buy a brass plug for the end, which should do it, but does anyone have any other thoughts on this issue?

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#3 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

I noticed a small propane leak on my Hawk on the last trip we took as well. Ours appears to be in the camper system somewhere because the odor goes away when we shut off the valve at the tank. I haven't gotten into investigating it yet, but have been meaning to post here for ideas for any good spots to check and ideas on how to check for leaks... other than running a lit match along the hose until it goes "POOF." :P
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#4 bluefly

bluefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

I noticed a small propane leak on my Hawk on the last trip we took as well. Ours appears to be in the camper system somewhere because the odor goes away when we shut off the valve at the tank. I haven't gotten into investigating it yet, but have been meaning to post here for ideas for any good spots to check and ideas on how to check for leaks... other than running a lit match along the hose until it goes "POOF." :P

Try http://www.propane10...forgasleaks.htm for some good info. Start with the tank and then check each connection. Good luck!

#5 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

FYI-
I tested the tank and it doesn't seem to leak, so I put it back into my garage. The smell has not returned.

I think maybe it was overfilled a little and the pressure release valve did its job in the heat of my garage. We'll see.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#6 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

Brett,

Sounds like you just had an overfill. We test the tanks before they go out and usually catch any that leak before they go into a camper. Just let us know if you have any other problems though. We can send you a new tank if it comes to that.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#7 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

I noticed a small propane leak on my Hawk on the last trip we took as well. Ours appears to be in the camper system somewhere because the odor goes away when we shut off the valve at the tank.

Does your camper have the Propane Gas Detector?

Here is the Propane Gas Detector Manual => http://www.ccicontro...om/7770T1LT.pdf

PLEASE SEE PAGE 2 "HOW TO TEST" using a BICâ„¢ or butane lighter!

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#8 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

In an older camper one of the possible problems could be the two stage regulator that is in the propane tank holding area. If it starts to malfunction and allows too much pressure into the lines of the camper, the stove and furnace have a relief fitting on them that will bleed off the extra pressure.

Any decent RV shop should have the equipment to test the regulator if you are unable to find a leak anywhere else in the lines.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#9 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info Ben... I'll have to check into it. I still haven't had time to check it out... Too many other projects.

Kyle
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#10 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

Brett,

Sounds like you just had an overfill. We test the tanks before they go out and usually catch any that leak before they go into a camper. Just let us know if you have any other problems though. We can send you a new tank if it comes to that.

Thanks Ben. So far the smell hasn't returned so I think it was just overfill.
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users