• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hi Fellow Wander'ers

As I live in Las Vegas, my camping season is just about ready to begin. I spent a very productive long weekend with my brothers installing Solar and upgrading batteries in my camper.  I was wondering what everyone else has done in this department? I am currently running the following 

2- 6 volt 225 amp hour each batteries VMAXTANKS AGM (Total of 225 amp hours at 12v's)

2-120 watt flex panels on the roof. Mounted using exisiting screw holes in roof(240 watts total)

8-gauge wiring from panels to charge controller.

40 amp Tracer Solar Battery Charge Controller with remote Meter (A bit overkill but I will never out grow it)

2030 Trimetric Battery moniter system- Pretty much a battery gauge for how much power I'm using and how much is left. 

Blue Sea Systems  ML-ACR with Remote and Manual Control to have the truck charge the camper when driving and it charges and maintains the truck battery with the solar when I am parked at my house.

Progressive Dynamics Charge Controller 60 amp with manual remote  

What solar or battery upgrades have you done to your campers and trucks? What would you have done differently? 

A huge public thank you to DrJ for helping set up and design my system. 

Edited by 97grandby, 06 September 2016 - 06:41 PM.

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#2 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:15 PM

Sounds nice.

I went with LIFePO batteries, which really added to the cost. I am hoping they will last 7-10 years at which point I MIGHT break even. 

I also went with a second alternator so the camper batteries are 100% separate from the Truck electrical system. This was easy to do on a Duramax. I can bridge the systems if I need too. 

I also replaced the FWC truck to camper wiring with 4 gauge wire - which lets we charge at 60 amps or more from the engine (LIFEPo batteries charge a lot quicker than lead acid). 

All told I put about 4 grand into batteries, wires, solar (160 amps) and components. It's overkill, but I like my beer cold. 

I think the biggest bang for the buck was the Truck to Camper wiring. What FWC uses is just too thin for the job. 

#3 NWPlunker

NWPlunker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:05 AM

"I also went with a second alternator so the camper batteries are 100% separate from the Truck electrical system. This was easy to do on a Duramax. I can bridge the systems if I need too."

I am interested in the LIFEPo batteries very much along with a solar setup.  I have followed the "I need more power Scotty" thread and it was very informative for a novice like me.

If I have a Dodge with dual alternators putting out a total of 440 amps will I be able to harness all that juice to my LIFEPo's?

Thanks, Mark

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:37 AM

Mark,

You will want to get an marine alternator and regulator, so that you can tailor the output of the alternator for what your hyper expensive lifepo's will want to consume

#5 NWPlunker

NWPlunker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

Vic,

I expect the batteries to be worth the money, better efficiency for the dollar, we will see.

But the cost to have them installed and wired is what has shocked me, I was quoted a cost close to the cost of my camper!

KMP

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:45 PM

Vic,

I expect the batteries to be worth the money, better efficiency for the dollar, we will see.

But the cost to have them installed and wired is what has shocked me, I was quoted a cost close to the cost of my camper!

KMP

My power system, including the batteries, solar panels and controls has cost me more than the camper, and I'm doing the work myself.

Mind you, I got a wicked deal on the (used) camper!

#7 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:56 PM

Ahh...guess I'm lazy and cheap.

All I did is purchase a Renolgy 100w suitcase. It was around $250, fits nicely behind my roll over couch and is completely out of way. Been using it now for over three years and couldn't be happier. It has supplied all my power needs for up 8 days in elk camp with no help from the truck.

As far as the truck/camper wiring it is all stock from the FWC install. No issues there either. I get 14v from the truck to the camper when driving. Truck and twin camper batteries are now 4 years old and going strong....so am I just blessed or are you EE's just cursed?

V1EcZfn.jpg

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:40 AM

just cursed   :ph34r:

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:31 AM

There's just no substitute for sun falling square and perpendicular to the plane of the panel.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 NWPlunker

NWPlunker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:56 PM

So Vic, are you saying that I should not get the dual stock alternators, that I should buy and install an after-market one?  Is that possible, lol?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users