• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:06 AM

Hi there folks ,

I am the snow hunter and I am living in The Mt.Baker Area of Washington state.

Just thought I would share about my mini home.

I found her on the craigslist about 30 minutes from my house and the guy was selling her in a package deal but he sold me the camper by it self for $500. I really was happy, although I still needed to remodel it and modify my truck but hey you can't put a price on lifestyle.

The good

It came with two heaters,the standard and a non electric piezo ,a 3 way fridge,6 volt batteries,1200 watt inverter ,microwave,a dolly,and a complete new design inside.new couch with storage under it. a new lift system designed with metal device to lift the top.he had it made in a metal shop.They took out the over cab bed.Now it is a single or storage.It came with original 1986 Fleet manual and a ad from 4 wheel company with all the old school campers.very cool. Also a mounted yakima box, great for my snow board but won't fit my surfboard.oh well .The whole camper appears to be reinsulated with spacefoil.

The bad

camper not used for a while and had a robins nest inside the storage on the side,it even had eggs.sorry no picture.
The liner was funky,no skylight(had a old window covering it).
Looked like a bad day in the bathroom on the out side with four different colors of white green and brown.

The remodel.

I Ejected the previous tenents,and started.

First I installed a new skylight,charcoal.Then pressure wash.
Then new 6 volt batteries ,old ones were dead.
A solar panel for charging and a regular charger.
Then I made the camper one color except for the roof which I left white.
The new color A team black.I think It looks more mean.and therefore won't appeal to a theif in the city. I left the canadian sticker from previous owner for good luck.
Also cleaned then painted the inside liner.I ripped out the tent material and painted the tarp stuff a light green.
installed new water hand pump.
storage bins for food and books,ect.
Tint for windows.
Added a coleman water heater and popup shower set up.also ghetto inside shower with curtain and rubermaid.Hey it works in the cold.

I have had the mini home for a while and leave it on full time.I got air bags and drive slow and don't really feal a big difference in the way my yota drives.
Sure is nice to crash in my mini home after a good night out on the town,or in the wilderness in BFE.

Now I just need to decide on where to go. Baja,would be sweet.

This photo is a before the A team paint job and air bags.
In my back yard.
Near Mt.baker on canyon creek.
More to come.

Keep on Truckin

Snow Hunter

Attached Thumbnails

• Baker Hot Springs and camper 004.jpg

#2 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:20 AM

Great find and welcome, sounds like you will fit right in with all the refurb you have already done.
Looking forward to the after shots:thumb:
Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

#3 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

Great find and welcome, sounds like you will fit right in with all the refurb you have already done.
Looking forward to the after shots:thumb:

What he said.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#4 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

This is before I added tinted windows and more paint to the trim.
Also airbags our now installed in this photo,no more sag,:cool:

Attached Thumbnails

• camper in june 056.jpg

#5 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:12 PM

I like having the peizo heater ,it is quiet and efficient.I still use both at first then my place is warm real quick ,after awhile I will turn the stockheater off and keep the peizo on low for the evening. I like to turn every thing off before sleeping and crank it in the morning if needed.:cool:

Attached Thumbnails

• camper in june 015.jpg

#6 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

I put in some storage bins,these also hold the liner up when the shell is lowered.

Attached Thumbnails

• Baker Hot Springs and camper 019.jpg

#7 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

Looks great :thumb: and welcome to the forum.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#8 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

I will go to alaska next week to pick up a "fleet" camper. Were the air bags the only addition/alteration to your truck?
does your Tacoma have 3 or 4 leef springs?
Thanks
robbie

#9 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:35 AM

The first mod. was attaching the thing.
Then I went to Les Swabe and got the airbags and some high perfomance tires rated for the weight.6ply I think.
I have 3 springs on my v6 and there bent the wrong way ,to much weight from landscaping work.The guy at LS said his were the same way.
Wish I would have got the bags before that, but no real difference from what I can tell now.
The next thing for me is wiring the battery to the alternator via a isolator,my truck does not have the plug in the bed,that some do.I would like to have my alternator charging my battery and my fridge as I drive.
Nothing else that I can think of, it fits good in the bed.
I wish the jacks were more sturdy,there is only 3 and the side with one is skechy .Maybe I will modify another leg for that side.

#10 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

s-h,

I love the black stealth camper, definitely unique, and for $500 that's a deal too good to pass up. Best of Luck.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users