• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

I picked up my new to me 94 Grandby and now have a little work to do. It have a two prong plug on the camper but where does one find a mate or should I cut it off and use a more frequently found connection? I thought my trailer plug might have a hotwire when sitting but doesn't appear to, suggestions on how to connect, isolator??? where do I find such a thing, thought I'd stick an aux rv battery inside. also mine has a window (or had a window) on the driver side but going down the road it decided to leave the scene.

I've made a couple email inquiries to FWC and called but haven't gotten anything back from them about whether I can buy another window or a matching connector. Not thrilled with customer service so far.:confused:

#2 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:12 AM

I've made a couple email inquiries to FWC and called but haven't gotten anything back from them about whether I can buy another window or a matching connector. Not thrilled with customer service so far.:confused:

I suggest emailing Stan directly. If he can't help you, you can always contact the guys at ATC (i.e. Ben). One or the other should be able to help.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#3 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:22 AM

If you have the 7 pin trailer connector on your truck, the +12V source should be the connector that is at about the 1 o'clock position and the ground is the connector just opposite it at about the 7 o'clock position. If you're not getting power there, you may want to check for a blown fuse. Rather than tap into the trailer harness there, I would trace it back to a convenient location toward the cab, then tap in.

As far as the connector, I would just find some kind of weather resistant connector locally.

Even though I didn't buy my camper from FWC, I have found them to be very responsive, though some times it takes a day to get a call back. As I recall, they start the day pretty early, around 6:30 or 7:00 am Pacific Time. It's probably best to call early before they get the days production started.

#4 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:25 AM

I picked up my new to me 94 Grandby

Oh yeah, congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it once you get the kinks worked out.

SB

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#5 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:33 AM

Congratulations. Try calling Chicali in the service department, I've gotten excellent results going directly to him. Best of Luck.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:35 AM

Hey Barko1

We are in-between customer service people right now, so hang in there.

If you need a faster reply please call and ask for Stan (myself) or Chicali out in the shop.

Or e-mail me directly at ... stan@fourwh.com.

I would be glad to help as fast as I can.

I can be reached most of the time at 800-242-1442.

I would probably suggest cutting off the old green/black 2 prong plug and going with something nicer.

You can use most any type of connector you want -- whatever is easiest for you to hook up. Some are better than others.

IMPORTANT WHEN RECONNECTING !

WHITE CAMPER WIRE = POSITIVE +

BLACK CAMPER WIRE = NEGATIVE -

You could use your trailer wiring plug too I suppose ?

Do you have the big round "7 pin" connector ?

You probably don't want a "always hot" wire anyway.

If you have the camper connected to that, you run the risk of draining the truck battery down.

Most people will go to a switchable "hot" wire or a "key hot" wire off of the truck.

Here is a link to the current camper to truck plug we are using now ...

http://www.fourwheel...OCAMPERPLUG.pdf

Here is a link to the battery separator we are using ...

http://www.fourwheel...parator1315.pdf

Do you have measurements for the small window you were mentioning ?

I can see what we have out in the shop for new and used replacements ?

Worst case I would think most any local glass shop could cut you a piece of glass to fit in that spot (just not sure how easy it is for them to cut corners ??) Square cuts are easy. Rounded corners not sure ?

Hope this is a start for you.

Lets talk further tomorrow and we can get you moving forward.

Thanks

Stan

=====================================================

I picked up my new to me 94 Grandby and now have a little work to do. It have a two prong plug on the camper but where does one find a mate or should I cut it off and use a more frequently found connection? I thought my trailer plug might have a hotwire when sitting but doesn't appear to, suggestions on how to connect, isolator??? where do I find such a thing, thought I'd stick an aux rv battery inside. also mine has a window (or had a window) on the driver side but going down the road it decided to leave the scene.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:42 AM

Thanks Stan for all the useful information. I'll double check wires and measure the window. On my motorcycle I use BMW/John Deere connectors, some use SAE connectors. So I guess the separator is a device to prevent from draining the truck battery while say running the furnace fan all night keeping me warm.

#8 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

Here are the measurements of the current type of window we are using (closest sized window we have in stock).

17" x 17" outside dimension of the black window frame.

I know your window is on the front / driver's side of your camper, but it might be the same sized window ?

Does your window measure the same ?

Let me know what you find out and we can go from there.

Thanks

=====================================================

... I'll measure the window

Attached Thumbnails

• rear wall window.jpg

Woodland, CA 95776

#9 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

Looks like the window is 16.5X13.75. Right now I'm busy working to install some airbags on the rear springs of the truck so I haven't checked local auto glass but I think that is the next step. I also ordered up a 12v water pump and an isolator and will get to that sometime. Meanwhile I think my attached hydraulic jacks might need some new seals. Anyway I did get a couple nights sleeping in it and have a planned weekend trip coming up. Thanks for the assistance.

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:01 PM

sounds good

Here are a couple of links that might be helpful for the jacks ...

http://www.riecotitan.com/plhyd.html

http://www.riecotitan.com/hydjack.html

================================================

Looks like the window is 16.5X13.75. Right now I'm busy working to install some airbags on the rear springs of the truck so I haven't checked local auto glass but I think that is the next step. I also ordered up a 12v water pump and an isolator and will get to that sometime. Meanwhile I think my attached hydraulic jacks might need some new seals. Anyway I did get a couple nights sleeping in it and have a planned weekend trip coming up. Thanks for the assistance.

Woodland, CA 95776

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users