• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,388 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

A while back (1 or 2 years) someone on here was trying to find the rubber trim that goes on the inside of the door.  Pretty specific item and we couldn't find the right size that would fit the door.  It was pretty small to fit into the channel.

We had planned to do a group buy of the stuff that we thought would work but had to buy it in 100yard sizes (I think).  We never found anything that worked but thought I'd revive the thread to see if anyone has any ideas on where to get the stuff.

This was for older FWC's (year 2000 - ?) time frame. 

I can try to get a photo but it's the seal that fits into the channel fo the door.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#2 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

I believe this thread from 2010 is the one you are referring to.

You know, I've got to quit reading posts like these.    I wasn't even sure what seal you were referring to so walked out to the camper to look.  Dang!   Something else needs doing! (LOL).

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,388 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:16 PM

I believe this thread from 2010 is the one you are referring to.

You know, I've got to quit reading posts like these.    I wasn't even sure what seal you were referring to so walked out to the camper to look.  Dang!   Something else needs doing! (LOL).

Oops, sorry.  Just take a beer with you.  Mine's worn down in a few spots (missing actually). 

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

I didn't make out very well on web searches for a replacement bulb seal.

But I did find a Challenger Doors website and their FAQ gave me a contact point for door parts.    I sent her an email this morning and will report back when I get a response.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#5 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,388 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:33 PM

But I did find a Challenger Doors website and their FAQ gave me a contact point for door parts.    I sent her an email this morning and will report back when I get a response.

Great.  Let's hope for success.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#6 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,388 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

Any updates on the seal?  I'd like to add this to my maint. items this winter :-).

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, I put in some good research but came back empty.  I never did find a bulb seal that had a 2mm flange to slide into my 08 FWC door.  Maybe someone else will have more luck.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:56 PM

The contact point said they do not have that bulb seal. I need to follow up, though, on something she said. i think shes recommending a D-shape stick on seal. She said she could send me some but didn't identify it clearly.

I'm on the road and won't get back to it until next week.

Edited to add:

Ah.  Found it.  Here's what she said:

We do not have anything like that seal that you sent in those picture but I could send you our 109 seal and you could remove all of the seal you have on your door  clean it really good and apply the 109 seal.  But I know we do not carry the specific seal you are looking for.

So what is a "109 seal"?  Perhaps something like this one on Amazon.  But a little more searching shows there are at least two adhesives available for these and it's not clear the rubber is always the same.  That's what I'll follow up on.

Edited by Old Crow, 17 November 2016 - 11:45 PM.

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,302 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, I put in some good research but came back empty.  I never did find a bulb seal that had a 2mm flange to slide into my 08 FWC door.  Maybe someone else will have more luck.

This thread caught my eye finally. I don't have this problem,but have you asked Marty about this.

Since ATC still uses the older style "square" corner door they might be of some help.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:50 AM

Update:

The day before Thanksgiving I left a phone message and sent an email to the parts contact at Challenger Door.  She was apparently out  for the holiday and replied by email today.  She asked how much I needed and said they have a 25-foot minimum and the cost is  $1 per foot... but didn't mention whether there's a shipping charge or provide any other info.

I called her after reading that email and asked a few questions:

(1) Did she recommend the seal as a possible solution or a known solution?  She says its a possible solution. She had taken the problem to the tech support staff when I first wrote and they said that's what they would use if they were replacing the bulb seal. 

(2) Does Challenger make the seal?  No, it's a common RV industry product.

(3) Do you know who the manufacturer is?  No.  The only clue is a parts cross reference JR109H3 (there may be hyphens in there).  I was unable to find anything like that on the web (but could order it from Challenger). 

(4) Do you know which adhesive the seal has on it?  She found something saying the adhesive is H3.  (which fits with the cross-reference number she had).  (note: I asked this question because I see 109-profile D-seals at Trim-Lok, for example,  can be bought with no adhesive, with 'HT' adhesive, or with 'BT' adhesive.     

(5) What is the shipping cost?  She will submit my address info to the shipping department for a quote but she thinks it will be about $10. 

So, where are we?

It's not certain the recommendation of a 109 profile D-seal is a good one but it's a probably worth a try, particularly if your seal is very bad.    The width of almost 5/8" seems like it's kind of wide but appears to fit.  It's difficult to tell how the EPDM material of the seal would handle the slot-extrusion we no longer use when switching from the bulb seal to a glue-on D-seal.

Another important consideration is the adhesive.  If you buy the JR109H3 seal from Challenger, you get an H3 adhesive, which is rubber-based.  If you buy Trim-Lok's X109HT seal, you get a standard pressure-sensitive (acrylic) adhesive (I believe this is an 'H2' adhesive).  And if you buy Trim-Lok's X109BT, you get 3M's Bonded Tape adhesive.

This Trim-Lok Rubber Seal video is useful for understanding differences in the HT and BT adhesives as well as preparation steps for installation.

-Old Crow

PS- I also called All Terrain Campers today.  They don't have the bulb-seal stock either. They also said the door on my 2001 may be a Dexter.  I'll give them a try too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users