30 replies to this topic

#1 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

I have a Ram 2500, 4X4, gas, ~8000 lbs with FWC Grandby.  it currently has LT 265/70R17-E BFG Rugged Trails with 60,000 miles and ~ 1/8" tread left.  I drive about 80% hiway (daily driver + Minnesota to Mountain West 2X a year), 15% maintained dirt roads, 5% unmaintained dirt, snow, packed snow, grass.  Very little mud and rocks.  I don't want a noisy tire on pavement (I know, subjective) and would like something better off road than the Rugged Trails.

April is (supposedly) tire sale month, so i am planning to replace tires next month.  Advice and recommendations appreciated.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

I have LT 265/70R17-E BFG All Terrain KO2's on my Tacoma/Eagle combo and really like them for both on and off road. Not quite as quiet as regular highway tires but not that noisy either.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

I currently have a Ram 3500, 4x4 (gas) hauling fulltime a ~2000lb. (loaded) Hawk.  I have Toyo A/T, LT285/75R tires.  They don't seem any noisier than other tires I had in the past.  I had a Tundra with Toyo's LT tires (same Hawk) and they lasted and performed well, but they are a little on the expensive side.   

#4 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

The Rugged Trails are glorified highway tires on LT casings. Anything better off road will be a true AT type tire. Keep in mind AT's are mainly offroadable street tires. There are good choices out there. BFG AT KO2, Cooper AT's, General AT's, Michelin AT's all have good reps and are pretty quiet with good road manners. You will need an E rated tire. I love my new tires (Cooper ST Maxx) in the same size but won't recommend them to you as they are probably a bit more aggressive than you want.

There is a good review of the modern AT's over on Expedition Portal.

#5 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

https://www.goodyear...rrain-adventure

My buddy and I both run these tires. Between us both the amount of trouble free miles is astounding. Many trips to Death Valley and the surrounding areas.

Edited by ETAV8R, 05 March 2017 - 06:45 PM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#6 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

Went from the Cooper AT/3's to the ST Maxx about a month ago.  Got 50,000 miles out of the AT/3's and if I approach that with the new shoes I'll be happy.  The old tires were great and never really felt like there was anyplace where they were holding me back, the biggest reason for going to the new tire rather than just a replacement was getting a 3 ply sidewall.  

First big trip starts in 10 days so I'll have a better feel for manners on and off road in mid-April.  So far I've only dealt with snow and ice which hasn't been an issue.  Tire size is 275/70-18.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#7 OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationColorado Plateau

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

Love the BFG AT's on my 4 runner but my local Discount, who supplies tires on approximately 40 fleet vehicles for us, doesn't recommend them on full size trucks. Regardless, an E rated AT of some sort is the ticket. I currently run the ST Maxx on my truck, but would suggest the Cooper AT3. I had great performance with that tire on a big truck - ymmv.

Edited by OpenSpace, 06 March 2017 - 06:48 PM.

www.wildlandtrekking.com

#8 Moss Grimmick

Moss Grimmick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

Cooper Discoverer AT/3.  Solid tire with excellent performance on wet roads, handles superbly on highway and is quiet.  Can't go wrong.

#9 Moss Grimmick

Moss Grimmick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Cooper has a $100 rebate for the AT/3 through end of March.  

#10 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:42 AM

Goodyear All Terrain Adventure - Great all around tire - 2nd set trouble free and no flats

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users