• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

After almost two years and ~ 60 nights of camping, we finally ran out of the first 10 gal propane. Most of the usage is from the furnace. I'm just very surprise and glad that 10 gals lasted so longer. We could probably keep one of the tanks at home and use the space for storage.

edit: each tank is 10 gal not 5 gal

Edited by super doody, 08 March 2017 - 03:58 AM.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#2 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:12 AM

There is a connector called a "steak saver" that attaches the little green bottles to your propane line to the camper, allowing you to carry just a light back-up plan for those times you accidentally run out in the middle of the night. 

But you're right, the propane lasts a good long time. Too bad the battery doesn't. The heater sucks it down like a kid with a milkshake. 

$9 from Amazon

https://www.amazon.c...rds=steak saver

Edited by Bseek, 07 March 2017 - 06:14 AM.

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,388 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

I agree.  I use mine mainly for the refrig and occasional furnace.  I alwasy think I'm low (guage is terrible) and I take it in and they add 2 gals. even after a season of use.  This year though, we've used the camper about 30 nights already so it may be time to check it.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

With mine I only have a single, horizontal bottle and the gauge is very inaccurate.  I've written on it where the full point is and that when the needle reaches 'E" i have about a gallon left.  I did run out once and now carry a steak saver, wasn't so much that the night was cold but getting moving in the morning without coffee sucked.

New this year will be carrying an 11# tank for my campfire but not sure how I'd attach it the hose, it won't fit in the compartment.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#5 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

I took out the second gas bottle before my first trip and have never used it. It's heavy and I would rather have the space for stowing hoses, cords, etc. I fill the one bottle every year and have never come close to running out. Just the stove and a little heater use.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#6 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

Well perhaps I have the record for propane usage. Five years of fairly heavy camper use and I never refilled either of my tanks.

My secret, I guess, is I only cook inside if forced to and I never run the furnace while sleeping. If in a campground I have an electric heater.

Could have saved a lot money if I had just got a shell perhaps?
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

Took me 3 years to use one of the new 10# bottles. I do have one of the steak savers to use a 1# bottle if needed. I bought it for the old 2002 Hawk with the 20# tank. Never have used it. I have two 20# tanks for my Weber grill. When I fill them if I have an empty tank in the camper I fill it and top off the one I am using. I like the idea of only carrying one 10# bottle to get some more storage space. 

#8 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

Just filled both my 10# bottles. I don't think they have ever been filled before. Camper is a 2012. it took 5#. $3 to fill them both.

I plan to use the extra bottle to power a gas campfire occasionally.

#9 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

Well you guys are pretty frugal on your usage. Imagine my surprise when I used up a 20 lb tank in 3.5 days/ nights on my elk hunt last fall. It wasn't extremely cold, but my heater seemed to struggle to keep up.

I recently acquired a replacement heater, that will go in soon. My current heater is an older Atwood 12,000 BTU pilot heater. The replacement is an Atwood hydroflame 16,000 BTU DSI. Should make a noticeable difference, take less time to heat up, and less cycling. Anyone know what the standard BTU output is on most of the newer campers, and make. I'm thinking they are Suburban furnaces, and must be more efficient.

So, I guess I hold the record for most usage, but hopefully that will change. Or maybe I'm wimpy when it's cold out! 😏

Poky

Edited by PokyBro, 07 March 2017 - 08:25 PM.

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#10 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

I camp 100 or so nights a year and use about one bottle per, but I like having the second for when I do run out in the middle of a cold night.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users