• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:00 AM

I consider myself fairly handy. Comfortable with doing almost all upgrades myself. But I'll be honest. I'm not very comfortable with wiring.

Would anyone be able to provide a diagram, handwritten or otherwise, that would outline the basic wiring diagram?

Dealing with a 2012 Raven with 2 batteries from the factory. It's going on a 2007 Chevy 2500. I know that probably doesn't matter but just in case [emoji6]

I've purchased the 3 wire Atwood connectors (male and female).

Thanks in advance. I really do appreciate it.

Chris
2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:24 AM

Chris,

Which part of the wiring diagram?  Truck to Camper connections?  Inside the camper?  What else does the Raven have for lights/fans/appliances?  Is there an existing DC fuse panel, battery separator, etc?

#3 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

Chris,

Which part of the wiring diagram?  Truck to Camper connections?  Inside the camper?  What else does the Raven have for lights/fans/appliances?  Is there an existing DC fuse panel, battery separator, etc?

Vic,
Just the wiring from the camper to the truck and any return wiring that would need to come back to the FWC installed batteries. It has an Iota system installed inside.

Thanks

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

The whole wiring thing had me confused too when I got my FWC.  Once you "figure it out" you'll understand but I don't have a wiring diagram. 

There should be a large gauge (very low number, thick) wire from your truck battery to the camper that goes (eventually) to the camper batteries.  On mine there's another wire that goes from the side of camper (opposite from where the camper battery is and where the plug in for shore power is located) to the other side to the camper battery.  Reason is that all the camper wiring, plugs, etc. are on that side of the camper and the battery only fits on the other side (I think they've changed that now).  All the other wiring is to connect the isolator, battery to battery, etc.

Be sure to put connectors on those points so you can take the camper off :-).  Most people use Anderson power connectors. 

Sorry that I don't have a diagram and that may make it more confusing :-).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

ok, I can add a bit to what kmcintyre said.

I used 2 AWG cable wiring my Hawk shell to my 2500 HD.  Both +ve and -ve leads are over cable, meaning I am not using the truck/chassis for ground/return wiring.

From the truck battery, the -ve cable goes to towards the back with out any breakers/fuses.  The +ve cable runs 8" to a 100A breaker

https://www.amazon.c...ds=100a breaker

I mounted to the plastic bits that support the fuse panel on next the battery on the driver's side of the engine bay.  From there the two cables run over the fender liner/under the brake booster and parallel to a bundle of wires already in the harness there. I tuck them along that wire harness all the way back to the end of the truck cab, and then punched two 1/2" holes in the truck bed just over the pipe/hose from the fuel filler cap.  Those holes are lined with plastic chassis guides to prevent chaffing.  Everything is zip tied and tucked away from moving bits along the way.

One the cables come through the truck bed, I left about 12" and then cut them and attached anderson power pole connectors (actually, the connectors need to be put on first, time wise.  This is a logical flow description, not timeline!)

I removed the wires from the passenger side , which is where my shell originally had some dinky 10g wire run from, when I gutted the shell last fall.  So now I made two new holes on the driver's side and ran the cables from that side over the water tank area to the passenger side next to the water tank, which is where my battery/electric box is.  I left about 18' of slack on the outside of the camper and attached the anderson power pole connectors there.  You need that much so you can (dis)connect the two without having to try and manage that through a turnbuckle door.  Been there... don't like doing it that way!

At the battery box, I have another of those 100A breakers on the +ve cable and from there it connects to a fancy battery separator, much better than the typical factory installed ones - the blue sea ML-7622 ACR.  

http://assets.bluese...s/990170140.pdf

The ground wire does NOT go directly to the camper battery either, but to my battery monitor's shunt.  I use a Victron, http://shop.pkys.com...tor_p_2807.html

but the Trimetric would be wired the same way.  The other end of the shunt does eventually go to the battery -ve terminal.

Does that help?

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:01 PM

Stumbled across this from shortly after I received my 2014 Hawk. Some may find it useful.

I hope it uploads and is visible to readers.

Paul

Attached Files

Edited by PaulT, 14 April 2017 - 10:01 PM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:49 AM

Thank you all. I really appreciate the time you took to help me out. Hopefully we will get this thing wired this weekend along with the lift supports and be on the road next weekend. You guys rock.

#8 BMH44

BMH44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 02:53 PM

Stumbled across this from shortly after I received my 2014 Hawk. Some may find it useful.

I hope it uploads and is visible to readers.

Paul

Thank You that is exactly what I was looking for.

#9 BMH44

BMH44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 02:54 PM

ok, I can add a bit to what kmcintyre said.

I used 2 AWG cable wiring my Hawk shell to my 2500 HD.  Both +ve and -ve leads are over cable, meaning I am not using the truck/chassis for ground/return wiring.

From the truck battery, the -ve cable goes to towards the back with out any breakers/fuses.  The +ve cable runs 8" to a 100A breaker

https://www.amazon.c...ds=100a breaker

I mounted to the plastic bits that support the fuse panel on next the battery on the driver's side of the engine bay.  From there the two cables run over the fender liner/under the brake booster and parallel to a bundle of wires already in the harness there. I tuck them along that wire harness all the way back to the end of the truck cab, and then punched two 1/2" holes in the truck bed just over the pipe/hose from the fuel filler cap.  Those holes are lined with plastic chassis guides to prevent chaffing.  Everything is zip tied and tucked away from moving bits along the way.

One the cables come through the truck bed, I left about 12" and then cut them and attached anderson power pole connectors (actually, the connectors need to be put on first, time wise.  This is a logical flow description, not timeline!)

I removed the wires from the passenger side , which is where my shell originally had some dinky 10g wire run from, when I gutted the shell last fall.  So now I made two new holes on the driver's side and ran the cables from that side over the water tank area to the passenger side next to the water tank, which is where my battery/electric box is.  I left about 18' of slack on the outside of the camper and attached the anderson power pole connectors there.  You need that much so you can (dis)connect the two without having to try and manage that through a turnbuckle door.  Been there... don't like doing it that way!

At the battery box, I have another of those 100A breakers on the +ve cable and from there it connects to a fancy battery separator, much better than the typical factory installed ones - the blue sea ML-7622 ACR.  

http://assets.bluese...s/990170140.pdf

The ground wire does NOT go directly to the camper battery either, but to my battery monitor's shunt.  I use a Victron, http://shop.pkys.com...tor_p_2807.html

but the Trimetric would be wired the same way.  The other end of the shunt does eventually go to the battery -ve terminal.

Does that help?

Thank You that is very helpful 

#10 GaryRpg

GaryRpg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 12:52 AM

It's a slippery slope isn't it? I upgraded my battery to Lithium and ended up with a pretty extensive rebuild in my 2017 Fleet shell.

Can someone put some eyes on this wiring diagram and parts list to see if I've do anything stupid?

Any suggestions are welcome.

On a related note.....I have almost competed my truck to camper wiring upgrade to thicker wires and will be posting details on this as soon as I have it completed and tested.

Thanks all.

-Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users